Sacarament Meeting to remember

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Origami

Sacarament Meeting to remember

Post by Origami » 15 Sep 2013, 13:49

So today in SM we got to hear some real gems.

The theme of the meeting was missionary work. (same theme for the past 3 or 4 weeks, the rescue has been overdone here, people are burning out from it) I feel for the handful of poor non-members in my ward boundaries.

1st the joke:
Why do missionaries need to have big bladders?
They only get one pee day per week.

I laughed, loudly. Many did not...

2nd the reinforcement of prophetic infallibility from a conducting Bishopric member:
God is telling us to get out there and participate in the rescue effort through our inspired leaders. Prophets are always right and the BP is the prophet of our ward so we should be doing what he says.

No laughing this time....

3rd, This one really burned me:
A young man in my ward got sent home from a mission over a year ago to repent of some prior transgression. He is such a good kid, I respect him a bunch. He is going back out tomorrow to another mission to finish his time. I can't imagine what he had to endure to get where he is today. His family is strict and over the top, he has been made to feel lower than dirt over what has happened. (I can relate my own parents are much the same) He made a tearful apology to the entire ward for embarrassing the ward and letting everyone down. His view of his own worth is so far off from what I think God would say about him it just makes me sad. I wanted to stand up and stop him in the middle of it. I'll be writing him a letter as soon as I can.

I'm don't normally share that much, but this was just too much today.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Sacarament Meeting to remember

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Sep 2013, 13:55

It's sad to hear of meetings like that. Normally, there is at least balance, but, sometimes, it simply is sad.

My heart goes out to that young man. I hope he is okay moving forward.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Sep 2013, 15:17

Origami wrote:So today in SM we got to hear some real gems.

2nd the reinforcement of prophetic infallibility from a conducting Bishopric member:
God is telling us to get out there and participate in the rescue effort through our inspired leaders. Prophets are always right and the BP is the prophet of our ward so we should be doing what he says.
Wow, prophet of our ward - never heard it put quite like that before - and from his counselor, no less.

I thought the joke was funny (told my about-to-leave-for- his-mission son, who also thought it was funny).

I, too, feel sorry for that young man. From a psychological standpoint he has a long road ahead of him and I wish him well.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Sep 2013, 17:36

Origami wrote:A young man in my ward got sent home from a mission over a year ago to repent of some prior transgression. He is such a good kid, I respect him a bunch. He is going back out tomorrow to another mission to finish his time. I can't imagine what he had to endure to get where he is today. His family is strict and over the top, he has been made to feel lower than dirt over what has happened. (I can relate my own parents are much the same) He made a tearful apology to the entire ward for embarrassing the ward and letting everyone down. His view of his own worth is so far off from what I think God would say about him it just makes me sad. I wanted to stand up and stop him in the middle of it. I'll be writing him a letter as soon as I can.
I remember emailing my family during my mission. My sister who had gone to college back east said that I could come home if I wanted and that there was a big world out there that didn't care about serving missions. Sure the world "out there" is pretty big, but my world is fairly small and cares quite a great deal over these kinds of things.

The ironic thing is that he could have done just fine if he didn't have such a big and pure heart that drove him to confess. Reminds me of a quote that I heard: Two types of people are successful in the LDS church - the saints and the liars!

I hope he is a great missionary and he hopefully never has to talk about the year of eating crow again.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 22 Nov 2013, 08:52

I know it's none of my business, just curious. Did you ever write that missionary?

Heck, I feel like I need to write to him. Sometimes events like this can lead people down a path of self-deprecation that is very difficult to come back from. I'm sure the poor guy felt judged by the entire ward. My heart goes out to him.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 22 Nov 2013, 14:13

nibbler wrote:I know it's none of my
business, just curious. Did you ever write that missionary?

Heck, I feel like I need to write to him. Sometimes events like this
can lead people down a path of self-deprecation that is very difficult
to come back from. I'm sure the poor guy felt judged by the entire
ward. My heart goes out to him.
Send them a PM
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 10 Dec 2013, 08:12

I was thinking about this yesterday and noticed someone had a new comment.

We did write a letter. Not sure how he felt about it, haven't had a response but at least we said our piece. I threw in some ice cream money so at least he could get a shake? He is a GREAT kid from a really difficult family. He will always be less than he was supposed to be in his Dad's eyes. Sad deal.

I also noticed the church has a new missionary adjustment manual. I was reading about it some on KSL.com yesterday and will try to find the link. The article was in Deseret News. Seems the church is realizing that when missionaries come home early it is ugly. I didn't have time to dissect the article-some of you are so much better at than I am. It had some good stuff from a skimming.

Found it:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tress.html
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908