Taking a break from Church- what are your experiences?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AngryMormon

Re: Taking a break from Church- what are your experiences?

Post by AngryMormon » 30 May 2013, 18:03

I won't lie, during the Football season I miss church 35 percent of the time. The only side effect of missing church is that I watch more Football.

wuwei

Post by wuwei » 30 May 2013, 22:45

I have yet to decide if my FC is responsible for my spotty attendance this year or the 9am start time is...

9am years I've always taken a bit of a break haha.

Aside from that I think there's value in pulling back from the stressful situation, evaluating it from the outside and then choosing if, when, and how to reassociate with it. I'm there right now trying to figure out when and how.

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 01 Jun 2013, 12:32

I would like to take a break too. I know it would cause too much conflict in my family though, so I've got to stick it out somehow. But the other day I had the thought that it would be good to stop going to church, to take a break from callings, reading the scriptures and anything to do with the church, and just see where God would lead me personally. Maybe it would be right back to the church, but I wanted that experience, kind of like how it is for a convert. I thought something like that would probably help me really see what I believe without someone constantly telling me what to believe like I get through church.

PiperAlpha

Post by PiperAlpha » 02 Jun 2013, 08:04

I think journey girl and sirbikesalot make a really really good point...it is not a decision made in a vacuum. If it strains relationships or there are complications with kids, those would over ride a selfish need I have to take a break, up to a point.

I did take a break and my kids were more than happy to stay home. I took them to the mountains, took bike rides, and did activities with them in nature...and to this day they remember those Sundays as good memories. I reiterated to them how important my faith is and my love for God. And that I love them. I avoided sharing frustrations and questions about the religion, but asked them their thoughts and we have had some great discussions.

Then we went back to church and they wanted to keep skipping and I told them no. I want them to have the experience of being involved in the youth and primary programs. But I also gave them a perspective that church isn't necessary to feel close to God.

That has just been my experience.
“As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
Elder Ronald E. Poelman, General Conference Oct 1984