Considering coffee

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
TinSoldier

Considering coffee

Post by TinSoldier » 12 May 2021, 20:29

In all of my 60 years I have never had any temptation to drink coffee, but now I am giving it serious consideration. Here's why. I've been fighting cancer for the past 11 years. While I'm very grateful to still be around to fight, the treatments I've had, and am still receiving, have left me with a pitifully low stamina. I get winded and worn out far too easily. At my recent visit at the oncologist's it was, again, a topic of discussion. The drugs that treat my prostate cancer just about zero out my testosterone, cause loss of muscle and bone mass, and other fun stuff. The chemo I went through a couple of years ago also left more fatigue in its wake. I often have energy drinks, but frankly I can't afford them every day. I am the sort of person who believes that if you sincerely need a drug to get you through the day then there's no shame in using it and for me, that's caffeine. I just need it in a form my wallet can handle on my tight budget.

I really don't like being reliant on this sort of thing, but on days I don't have a high octane energy drink I'm just dragging around and feel like I'm made of lead. Caffeine isn't a magic bullet, but it definitely makes a positive change for me. And coffee is the only way I can see that I can afford to have it on a regular basis. It probably sounds like a joke, but it would literally be for medicinal purposes...presuming I can learn to like the flavor.

Minyan Man

Re: Considering coffee

Post by Minyan Man » 12 May 2021, 20:56

TinSoldier, I'm sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis.

I personally don't see a problem in the use of coffee or tea. It's like anything else I wouldn't drink it all day. We live in a society
where the answer for any ailment seems to be, take a pill. For what it's worth, try it & see if it helps. If you have an issue
with it, drink a coke.

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 12 May 2021, 21:15

Coke, Mountain Dew, etc are just about useless. The energy drinks I use are the extra strength version, at 300 mg of caffeine each. I wouldn't get that much out of a six-pack of Coke.

Now if they want to put the cocaine back in it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 13 May 2021, 05:29

You might look into Crystal Lite Caffeine packets. They sell 1 box of 10 packets (at 60 mg of caffeine each) in several different flavors for around 2.50 a box at the local USA grocery stores.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 May 2021, 05:49

I also don't see anything wrong with coffee or tea in your situation (nor most situations), and likewise for the glass of wine with dinner or a cold beer on a hot day.

I think it's a personal choice. Complicating the matter for us is of course the WoW. Again, depending on your comfort level with that (and your desire or lack thereof for a recommend) it's really up to you.

I personally rely on energy drinks and yerba mate (I buy it in tea bags on Amazon) but I don't like coffee. I do have regular tea from time to time.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 May 2021, 10:16

The other factor here is whether you have a spouse who doesn't drink coffee for religious reasons. I first want to talk about that as an issue disconnected from the benefits or needs from a health perspective.

For myself, I don't drink (alcohol). Nor do I drink coffee. Is either immoral? No. Personally, I don't have any concern for the WoW. I don't have a temple recommend... I don't plan to get one. My motivation, in part is the cost. I can't imagine spending 7 bucks for a coffee at Starbucks. But, to a larger degree, my motivation is that I live with someone (my wife) who is a believer and who adheres to the WoW, and I don't want to impose on her. Now, of course, lots of people reading this will say that I'm letting her impose on me, but I don't see it that way. We both lived the WoW when we met, dated, married and raised a family. After a long time, I went through a FC and became no longer bound to the WoW... but she didn't. So, our prior life was to follow the WoW. Now, she still is following the WoW and I am doing so 'externally' without the need, command, or motivation that I once had, and I do that in deference for her and her beliefs. It's not simply a way to keep the peace. It's about respecting what we both accepted a priori. That's my way of thinking. Conversely, I've known people who as soon as they have a FC, they start drinking and bringing it home. Unfortunately, this creates a physical representation of the divide between a believing and non-believing spouse and frequently does not end well (cause or effect, though, is a question).

Adding in a health reason for it obviously puts it on a different level, but I think if I went to a doc who said I need to consume a Coors Light with every meal, my first reaction would be to ask what other way I could get the same result. If the doc said, no other way, only then would I discuss it with my wife, and I can guarantee you that she would run out and buy a case for me that same day.

Those are general thoughts that have nothing to do with you or your situation... and which are only valid in my own situation.

TinSoldier, I admire you for your ongoing fight. I hope that in all you do, you can find peace with your situation. A close family member of mine is a cancer fighter, too, and I know that it's hard to describe to others and difficult to grasp fully until you go through it. I'll raise a cold one (diet coke, that is) to you tonight.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 14 May 2021, 07:42

I think that given the level of caffeine you feel you need (300mg) in order to function normally, you'd be hard pressed to find that easily with coffee and you'd probably be spending about what you're already spending on one energy drink, unless you make it yourself, but that also requires some investment.

IMO, you'd probably be better off purchasing caffeine pills, and your Dr may be able to get you a prescription for a medication with high caffeine. Just a thought.

If you've never drank coffee, you may dislike the taste as it's rather bitter. I've never developed a taste for it, and yes I've tried. I just don't like it and prefer tea, which can also be had cheap and may be another option for you. Again, the amount (300mg) is going to require multiple servings.

Green tea has definite health benefits and does also have some caffeine. There are several drinks that incorporate green tea into an energy drink--the V8 energy drinks come to mind. 80 mg in 8 oz, so again, probably not cost effective for you.

I'm sure you've learned to be cautious and informed with "energy drinks" as they are not all created equal. Some have inane amounts of sugar. Others add lots of other stuff that may give you additional boost, like guarana and vitamin B.

Also, in your situation, are testosterone shots off the consideration list? IMO, that's more effective than caffeine.

Good luck

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 May 2021, 13:28

Below is one of my favorite quotes by Joseph Smith.
I think it applies here.

https://mormonfactcheck.wordpress.com/2 ... y%20Saints.

In the end it is up to each of us to follow the commandments we've been given according to our own conscience and the
inspiration of the HG.

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 15 May 2021, 01:27

Excellent link, I really appreciate that. This may help me in more than one aspect of my life these days.

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 16 May 2021, 17:30

Cnsl1 wrote:
14 May 2021, 07:42
I think that given the level of caffeine you feel you need (300mg) in order to function normally, you'd be hard pressed to find that easily with coffee and you'd probably be spending about what you're already spending on one energy drink, unless you make it yourself, but that also requires some investment.

IMO, you'd probably be better off purchasing caffeine pills, and your Dr may be able to get you a prescription for a medication with high caffeine. Just a thought.

If you've never drank coffee, you may dislike the taste as it's rather bitter. I've never developed a taste for it, and yes I've tried. I just don't like it and prefer tea, which can also be had cheap and may be another option for you. Again, the amount (300mg) is going to require multiple servings.

Green tea has definite health benefits and does also have some caffeine. There are several drinks that incorporate green tea into an energy drink--the V8 energy drinks come to mind. 80 mg in 8 oz, so again, probably not cost effective for you.

I'm sure you've learned to be cautious and informed with "energy drinks" as they are not all created equal. Some have inane amounts of sugar. Others add lots of other stuff that may give you additional boost, like guarana and vitamin B.

Also, in your situation, are testosterone shots off the consideration list? IMO, that's more effective than caffeine.

Good luck
I was WAY slow in responding to this, ,my apologies. Yeah, unfortunately testosterone therapy is off the table, very much so. Much of my fatigue is from injections I get every few months for the past decade to knock down my testosterone, due to my prostate cancer. That's the main fuel for prostate cancer.

My standard energy drink is Rockstar, which offers a few flavors with 300mg of caffeine. A couple of them are horrid, like Cotton Candy or Marshmallow, but a couple of the others are decent. They have zero calories, so no sugar.

Over the past day or so I've been wondering if just straight caffeine is really going to do it for me or not, or if it would just make me jittery. Like you said, energy drinks have other energy boosting components. We'll see how it goes, I might have to just stick with them, or I may still give coffee a try. I am a bit wary of the taste, the aroma never appealed to me.