I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Minyan Man

Re: I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Jun 2022, 07:13

Hazy, this sounds like a good start. Now there is the follow through. By that I mean, to develop the friendships to the point where you feel
comfortable talking openly without judgement by either side. I know members in my circle of friends that feel the way your brother does.
My brother & sister have very open discussions. They are not in the church & maybe that is why we are so open.
You described your brother as follows:
HazyShadeofFall wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:28
...I was planning on discussing it with my brother, until he mentioned that our other brother leaving the church last year was basically his worst nightmare come true.
To me, this is a great opening. My personal response would be: is there anything else you could imagine that's worse?
You can imagine what my list would be.

You can ask the question without being judgmental or argumentative.
IMO, the purpose of this life is to have experiences that we could not experience in our previous life, make inspired choices for ourselves,
live the consequences of those choices, make corrections along the way and answer to Jesus Christ when we're done. The other part of this
is to allow others the same privilege.

To make all this happen, I need friends that I talk to, bounce ideas off of, receive insight & wisdom (that I don't have). I wish that I could say
that prayer does that for me. It usually doesn't. For me, answers to prayer are rare or it comes through conversations with close friends.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go

Post by Old-Timer » 14 Jun 2022, 19:52

Friendship and a sense of belonging is incredibly important to most people. I have found that acceptance is more important than "belief purity" (my own phrase, so if it doesn't work . . . Oh, well. :P ) When the expectation is to attend a specific congregation, that expectation can cause difficulties if the match is not strong or even healthy.

For a very long time, I have attended more to provide a sense of belonging to people who won't feel it naturally than for education or doctrinal edification. I get a lot out of good, deep discussions at church - but I have had to initiate a decent percent of them over the years. Luckily, others do it in my current ward quite regularly, but that hasn't always been the case.

I recognize not everyone is as comfortable sharing non-traditional thoughts in church as I am, so take that for whatever it is worth to you - without any pressure whatsoever.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken