Virtual R.S. Lesson - The Healing Power of Jesus Christ/Obtaining Power with God

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Virtual R.S. Lesson - The Healing Power of Jesus Christ/Obtaining Power with God

Post by AmyJ »

The Healing Power of Jesus Christ

Thesis:
People are feeling Helpless, Hopeless, Broken Hearted and Uncertainty and can feel Helpful, Hopeful, Whole-hearted, and Greater Certainty through relying on Jesus Christ.

QUOTE 1:
“Since the beginning of this year, we have dealt with many unexpected events. The loss of life and income due to the worldwide pandemic has seriously affected the global community and economy. Earthquakes, fires, and floods in different parts of the world, as well as other weather-related disasters, have left people feeling helpless, hopeless, and brokenhearted, wondering if their lives will ever be the same.”
- Sister Cristina Franco, The Healing Power of Jesus Christ, October 2020 General Conference

She shares a story of how a piano she ordered broke while it is being delivered and how the company insisted on providing a replacement instead of repairing and returning the original piano.

QUOTE:

“Sisters and brothers, aren’t we all like this piano, a little broken, cracked, and damaged, feeling like we will never be the same again?”

“However, as we come unto Jesus Christ by exercising faith in Him, repenting, and making and keeping covenants, our brokenness—whatever its cause—can be healed.”
- Sister Cristina Franco, The Healing Power of Jesus Christ, October 2020 General Conference

Restoration Process:
QUOTE:

“This process, which invites the Savior’s healing power into our lives, does not just restore us to what we were before but makes us better than we ever were. I know that through our Savior, Jesus Christ, we can all be mended, made whole, and fulfill our purpose, just like a beautiful-sounding, brand-new piano.”

Having Faith in and Coming Unto Jesus Christ
A. Belief in Jesus Christ – includes both belief in teachings and believing that we do not need to understand everything, but God does.
B. Trust in Divine Connections – Story of Alma’s People
C. Changing Our Actions to do what Jesus would do.

Transition:
Sister Sharon Eubanks gave a talk entitled, “By Union of Feeling We Obtain Power with God” that lists 3 principles we can use to overcome feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, uncertainty, and brokenness.

Have Mercy

“Jacob 2:17 reads, “Think of your [brothers and sisters] like unto yourselves and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.” Let’s replace the word substance with mercy—be free with your mercy that they may be rich like unto you. We often think of substance in terms of food or money, but perhaps what we all need more of in our ministering is mercy.”

“This was counsel specifically to the Relief Society. Let’s not judge each other or let our words bite. Let’s keep each other’s names safe and give the gift of mercy.”

- Sister Sharon Eubanks, By Union of Feeling We Obtain Power with God, October 2020

Make Your Boat Swing

QUOTE:
“In 1936, an obscure rowing team from the University of Washington traveled to Germany to participate in the Olympic Games. It was the depths of the Great Depression. These were working-class boys whose small mining and lumber towns donated bits of money so they could travel to Berlin. Every aspect of the competition seemed stacked against them, but something happened in the race. In the rowing world, they call it “swing.” Listen to this description based on the book The Boys in the Boat:”

QUOTE:
“There is a thing that sometimes happens that is hard to achieve and hard to define. It’s called “swing.” It happens only when all are rowing in such perfect unison that not a single action is out of sync.

Rowers must rein in their fierce independence and at the same time hold true to their individual capabilities. Races are not won by clones. Good crews are good blends—someone to lead the charge, someone to hold something in reserve, someone to fight the fight, someone to make peace. No rower is more valuable than another, all are assets to the boat, but if they are to row well together, each must adjust to the needs and capabilities of the others—the shorter-armed person reaching a little farther, the longer-armed person pulling in just a bit.

Differences can be turned to advantage instead of disadvantage. Only then will it feel as if the boat is moving on its own. Only then does pain entirely give way to exultation. Good “swing” feels like poetry.”

- Sister Sharon Eubanks, By Union of Feeling We Obtain Power with God, October 2020

Clear Away the Bad as Fast as the Good Can Grow

QUOTE:

“Each of us is going to have deeply wounding experiences, things that should never happen. Each of us will also, at various times, allow pride and loftiness to corrupt the fruit we bear. But Jesus Christ is our Savior in all things. His power reaches to the very bottom and is reliably there for us when we call on Him. We all beg for mercy for our sins and failures. He freely gives it. And He asks us if we can give that same mercy and understanding to each other.”

Last edited by AmyJ on 14 Apr 2021, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
AmyJ

Re: R.S. Lesson - The Healing Power of Jesus Christ/Obtaining Power with God

Post by AmyJ »

I delayed in preparing this lesson and I found out the Thursday before the lesson that this was the talk that I had said that I would teach on and I hadn't provided a replacement from the most recent General Conference.

I also struggled more because I am in a more agnostic state of mind recently.

Also, I was intimidated and challenged (teaching-wise) because the R.S. President had taught the previous lesson with a Power Point presentation, leading me to think the ante had been raised (as it were).

This is a cleaned up version of the lesson plan pre-Power Point.
Roy

Re: Virtual R.S. Lesson - The Healing Power of Jesus Christ/Obtaining Power with God

Post by Roy »

Make Your Boat Swing

QUOTE:
“In 1936, an obscure rowing team from the University of Washington traveled to Germany to participate in the Olympic Games. It was the depths of the Great Depression. These were working-class boys whose small mining and lumber towns donated bits of money so they could travel to Berlin. Every aspect of the competition seemed stacked against them, but something happened in the race. In the rowing world, they call it “swing.” Listen to this description based on the book The Boys in the Boat:”

QUOTE:
“There is a thing that sometimes happens that is hard to achieve and hard to define. It’s called “swing.” It happens only when all are rowing in such perfect unison that not a single action is out of sync.

Rowers must rein in their fierce independence and at the same time hold true to their individual capabilities. Races are not won by clones. Good crews are good blends—someone to lead the charge, someone to hold something in reserve, someone to fight the fight, someone to make peace. No rower is more valuable than another, all are assets to the boat, but if they are to row well together, each must adjust to the needs and capabilities of the others—the shorter-armed person reaching a little farther, the longer-armed person pulling in just a bit.

Differences can be turned to advantage instead of disadvantage. Only then will it feel as if the boat is moving on its own. Only then does pain entirely give way to exultation. Good “swing” feels like poetry.”

This reminds me a lot of Elder Wirthlin's Orchestra analogy in "Concern for the one". All are individuals - all are unique - all are needed. However, the disparate elements do need to coordinate in order to together create a work of art. Neither homogenous sameness nor unrestrained individuality will achieve the goal. Something in the middle is needed.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13