I had an Interesting Experience today...

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

I had an Interesting Experience today...

Post by Minyan Man » 07 Nov 2020, 09:46

I have a friend who I've known for 20+ yrs. He's a member of the church & he's in recovery.
He asked me to write a request for a pardon to the Governor of our state & the Pardon Board.
It was an easy request to write. His offenses were relatively small (2nd degree felonies) but
felonies never the less. His problems occurred because of his addictions.

He went into recovery, he has been in recovery of 20+ yrs, he has made restitution,
he went to college & earned a degree, he has helped other people stay sober,
he has done volunteer work in the community, he has held a job, etc.
It was an easy letter to write & I am happy to do it.

This made me think, on the day of judgement, will there be a opportunity for friends & relatives to
speak for me? I hope so. I need all the help I can get.

Parable: The letter to the Pardon Board.

DarkJedi

Re: I had an Interesting Experience today...

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Nov 2020, 06:27

Minyan Man wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 09:46
This made me think, on the day of judgement, will there be a opportunity for friends & relatives to
speak for me? I hope so. I need all the help I can get.
I have wondered about this as well. Will our family and friends be "character witnesses" for us at the final judgement. Will there be those who "testify" against us? Will it be just us and Jesus? Will there be an audience? Will your eternal companion or children be present?

"Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know. Can you repeat the question?" (Theme from Malcolm in the Middle)

In this case I don't think we know because I don't think there's enough scriptural information on the topic. I tend to believe that if it happens at all (I'm not sure the afterlife is anything like we think it might be if it even exists) it will be like a temple recommend interview - more of an opportunity for us to reflect ourselves. It might be nice to have character witnesses, but I have no clue.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Nov 2020, 04:04

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you talk to two different people about the same person and one person says the opposite of the other? You often get that kind of thing with celebrities, where one person has a good experience and another a bad one. That's how I feel about myself sometimes. Some people know me as someone who listens to them when they need an ear, others as someone who gets into arguments in bars. Some people will say I helped them and others will say I stood by.

To give a neutral example - I was once in a campaign group and there was some infighting (not my doing!). When it split in two, I ended up on one side. The folk on the other side were not happy, but I tried to keep my head down...

But get this -
* One person on the other side accused me of being too individualist and not working with the rest of them....
* And another called me part of "the Borg", and accused me of just doing what I was told.

These can't both be true. I think sometimes people can see what they want to see.

If I take my time at church, then some people will see me doing my calling and think I'm very by the book. Other people will see me as messy. Some people will see my behavior as shy and others as stand-offish. Some see me as a maverick and half hearted, others see me as all in.

Sorry, I am talking a lot about myself here. I think what you did is a kind thing. I have many friends who are in recovery. This has been a bad year for them. I do know people who have turned their lives around. I think you have to know someone well to appreciate that.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 09 Nov 2020, 09:08

This experience made me reflect on our lives & how important it is to help others & accept help for ourselves.
For example:
- I joined the church as an adult & missionaries helped me through the lessons to gain an understanding of the basics of the gospel.
- Later on I was assigned to be a Stake missionary & helps others to gain an understanding of the basics of the gospel.

- Then I was assigned home teachers...
- Then I became a HT...

- Then I went to the temple to take out my own endowments & someone helped me get through the endowment.
- If I ever were to become a temple worker, I would do the same for someone else.

- In a recovery program, the alcoholic or addict gets sober with the help of others in the programs.
- Then the alcoholic or addict helps others.

You can probably see where I'm going with this.
At different points in our life, we learn from others what to do. Then we help & support others to learn what to do.
All along the journey, there is our own will power to make choices for ourselves.

Like I tried to say before: this life has been interesting.
To everyone on this site: thank you for helping me along the way. I can't do it alone.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Nov 2020, 11:49

I have had the opportunity recently to speak for people who are being judged in a similar situation as the post describes.

Due to my work with those people, I was able to provide critical information that was impossible for the others to know just from dry facts on a piece of paper. For multiple people, my input influenced or even changed the probable outcome; for others, it did nothing but solidify the decisions that would have been made without my input.

I see judgment as a regular part of eternal progression, not as a moment when someone else will judge us - so, in that way, I think everyone speaks and will speak for everyone else throughout the path. I know that is a bit esoteric and difficult for some people to understand, but I like the idea of merely progressing and growing free of restricting or final judgment.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken