A Different Take on Taking His Name Upon Us

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Old-Timer
Site Admin

A Different Take on Taking His Name Upon Us

Post by Old-Timer »

When God was asked by Moses for a name to give to the Israelites, the name by which God asked to be identified was:
I AM.
There are various ways to interpret this, but I like to think God was saying:
I am called by many names, but I identify as me. I am who I am, and that is good enough.

Self-acceptance is a key aspect of internal peace. It also is a key aspect of charity - or god-like love. We tend to see that darkly as humans, but when we accept our own dark glasses it is easier to accept our own and others' weaknesses and focus simply on becoming better "I ams" and accepting others as they strive to be better "they ares". We quit assigning blame so readily and focus instead on helping unconditionally.

By what name do I want to be known in order for others to accept me?

I am Me - and that is all I need to be, since it is a name I share with my earthly and heavenly parents and everyone else.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken