My name is Gideon and I'm not afraid anymore

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mackay11

My name is Gideon and I'm not afraid anymore

Post by mackay11 » 24 Mar 2014, 12:01

The importance of compassion and kindness was one of the strongest impressions I had while praying. Compassion towards others could be part of not declaring it from the rooftops.

Thanks for the reminder of that On Own Now, and the rest of you too. So far I've only shared it with my wife and mother (who both asked). I agree with the sentiment from several of you that there's no need go and actively share it.

Thanks. I really appreciate you and consider you friends.

GodisLove

Re: My name is Gideon and I'm not afraid anymore

Post by GodisLove » 24 Mar 2014, 12:18

Love, love, love your post. So much of what you received in the temple I feel and "know". Peace is coming for me. It is a journey. Thank you for sharing this!
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Mar 2014, 13:23

Thank you for sharing Gideon.

In some important ways this is like a patriarchial blessing. It is unique and deeply meaningful to you, should not be shared indescriminately, and helps you to become your ultimate self.

I share in the joy of your peace. In some ways I have something similar and in some ways I don't - but I rejoice at what you have found!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

cwald

Post by cwald » 24 Mar 2014, 13:50

-like-

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Ann

Post by Ann » 25 Mar 2014, 22:50

mackay - Thanks for sharing this. Beautifully done, as always.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 26 Mar 2014, 05:13

Thanks all.

I'm very lucky to have such an awesome mother. Summarising the gist of her reply:
When I pray for you, I pray that He will guide and direct your thoughts and thought processes. From what I have read, I believe He has and is doing that! I love you and I love your capacity to express so lucidly the profoundly deep and important thoughts and feelings you have experienced
To those of you whose families aren't so empathetic, I'm sorry the process is so much more tough for you. I thought of you cwald in this process. I wish that everyone could lead with love. Perhaps people always do, especially family members, they just communicate it badly and believe that their opposition to a 'middle-way' is their way of expressing love.

SamBee

Re:

Post by SamBee » 26 Mar 2014, 10:27

cwald wrote:-like-

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
X2 with bells on.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 Mar 2014, 10:50

Very - very cool response from your mom!
mackay11 wrote:To those of you whose families aren't so empathetic, I'm sorry the process is so much more tough for you. I thought of you cwald in this process. I wish that everyone could lead with love. Perhaps people always do, especially family members, they just communicate it badly and believe that their opposition to a 'middle-way' is their way of expressing love.
My in-laws are like this. I frame it in terms of "love languages." They do not speak DW's love language. They also seem deaf to requests for displays of DW's love language. Sometimes they even seem to get indignant - as though DW should be grateful for the displays of love that she receives in their language. The relationship is very strained. I suppose it is hard for most of us to see the beams in our own eye.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Mar 2014, 11:05

Thank God for understanding people, especially parents. As you said, it's exponentially harder without them.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 26 Mar 2014, 11:29

I'm
Happy for you Gideon. I hope everyone can come to a state were fear does not move or define them or there actions.
It's not easy as by nature humans seek approval by authority figures.

What I find is that first one must respect and love ones self to sustain giving love to others.
But one can not love when one is in fear, hate or anger. So people cannot do things out of love for others while in fear.
Fear is an unstinted force when it is an effect, and love is an immovable object.

When the 2 meet it goes nowhere, love can not enter while in fear and fear can not enter while love abides in you.
But it can keep each at bay. So love can be used to block fear from entering and taking hold. Like wise until fear subsides love Can not enter. So the best way to stifle of off fear, hate anger,(really same base Emotion) is to keep love in heart as best as one can. Doing things out of fear? Teaching fear?! Is to teach against and to replace love inside oneself.