Casting My Net On The Other Side

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mackay11

Re: Casting My Net On The Other Side

Post by mackay11 » 22 Dec 2013, 15:41

Thanks so much mom3. You capture the spirit of this website.

Ann

Post by Ann » 22 Dec 2013, 18:44

mom3 wrote:

. . . . I can make my life the fulfillment of the best of my envisioned Savior.
Thanks, Mom3
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 24 Dec 2013, 10:30

mom3 wrote:Yesterday a pang went through my chest as I read how more complete and right with the universe Richard Bushman feels when he is participating in Mormonism. While reading it, I remembered how it used to feel so right. Today I don't know if I have answer for it. Just doing the actions doesn't make up for the disparity of my expectations.

So after 6 long years, or maybe even the entire length of my life, I am retiring from casting my net on the left side of the ship. I will still attend LDS services, they hold a special place in my heart. I take the sacrament for my reasons, and I attend to church to learn if I can help others - it's community service. I don't believe it gets me any gold stars. I attend because my wonderful parents gave me this faith, and it allows us common language.

But the hunting, praying, waiting for the answers, is over. Not in anger or resentment, but with eyes wide open, heart turned for healing, I go on. I am glad it taught me to pray. I love prayer. I love scriptures. I love hymns. I love the idea that generations can be bound together - and no one lost. These are the spiritual hopes of my heart. Now I leave it to God to help me found their life applications.
I keep feeling that pang and I have needed to quit searching. I don't find it either anymore. Thank you for articulating what you find good. I keep thinking of some of our previous discussion and am focusing on helping others. It seems to be what is needed where I live anyway. Do you think they give callings for "damage control"?

Thank you Mom3. Your words lift me.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

SisterPeggy

Post by SisterPeggy » 05 Jan 2014, 22:38

mom3 wrote: No I cannot die for my sins or yours. I cannot make up for the horrible misfortunes that fill this life. I can't be born in heroic circumstances; but I can make my life the fulfillment of the best of my envisioned Savior. I can learn (this one's going to be hard) to let go of pain inflicted by well intended others. I can learn, and practice human awareness. Not just for the outcast, but the included, too. Because according to Scripture - EVERYONE was included. I can do so much.

I love the hope that is deeply embedded in my heart. And if Christ is the best inspiration and model for my efforts - I rejoice, not just in his life. For I believe he was real - whether Rabbi or Savior - but I rejoice in the efforts of souls who created a narrative that casts a potential hope for me. Now like Peter and Paul, I have to figure out, one day at a time, one event at a time, how to fulfill the best nature of my heart.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I wish you joy, harmony, and hope.
Very beautifully said, perhaps exactly what I needed to hear today - thank you!