A New Stage of Life Beginning

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Tom Haws

A New Stage of Life Beginning

Post by Tom Haws » 20 Nov 2011, 09:54

Today James Fowler is a distant glimmer in my mind from long ago. And when I say stage, I'm speaking as a common man. But it seems I am getting a glimpse this weekend of a new stage of religion--a new stage of affiliation. It seems the time is arriving when I am fully Mormon and fully Unitarian. I long have told my UU peeps "I'm a Mormon". And I can see the day coming when I will tell my Mormon peeps "I'm a Unitarian". And maybe on Facebook it will say, not UU Mormon, not Mormon UU, not Heretical Mormon, but "active Mormon and active Unitarian".

And that is a newly happy thought for me.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

DevilsAdvocate

Re: A New Stage of Life Beginning

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 21 Nov 2011, 12:08

Tom Haws wrote:Today James Fowler is a distant glimmer in my mind from long ago. And when I say stage, I'm speaking as a common man. But it seems I am getting a glimpse this weekend of a new stage of religion--a new stage of affiliation. It seems the time is arriving when I am fully Mormon and fully Unitarian. I long have told my UU peeps "I'm a Mormon". And I can see the day coming when I will tell my Mormon peeps "I'm a Unitarian". And maybe on Facebook it will say, not UU Mormon, not Mormon UU, not Heretical Mormon, but "active Mormon and active Unitarian"...And that is a newly happy thought for me.
I'm glad to hear you are comfortable with your new stage of religious affiliation. Some people might think Mormonism and Unitarian Universalism mix like oil and water (if they have ever heard of UU) but personally I don't think it needs to be that way. I'll probably always call myself a Mormon even though I don't believe in many things the Church teaches similar to the way many people still consider themselves to be Jewish, Catholic, etc. without necessarily believing some of the central tenets of these religions but they still identify with it as their cultural background.
"Truth is what works." - William James