I watched an old movie tonight.

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Minyan Man

I watched an old movie tonight.

Post by Minyan Man »

I saw an old movie tonight titled: Inherit the Wind. Starring Spencer Tracy & Frederic March.
It dealt with the trial of a public school teacher who chose to teach the writings of Charles Darwin & Evolution.
The core message was: does man have the right to think for himself & to teach ideas that are contrary to the teachings of the bible?

That's as far as I want to go with it tonight. It seems to have a lot of application with some of the things we discuss on this site.
It is an excellent movie & I highly recommend it.
Roy

Re: I watched an old movie tonight.

Post by Roy »

DS is attending a youth group at the local Methodist church. They have some really great activities.

Anyway last week they talked about some things that the bible got right that scientists are only now figuring out.

The examples seemed to me to be a pretty significant leap but there they were, being used to help prove that the bible was the word of God.

It reminded me that what we Mormons do with the BoM in trying to prove its truth is not unique. We are more similar than we are different.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Highlighting what past people got right while ignoring what they got wrong in order to bolster one's own attachment to the past is a timeless tradition.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Minyan Man wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 20:22 The core message was: does man have the right to think for himself & to teach ideas that are contrary to the teachings of the bible?
There is one school of thought that the Scopes Monkey Trialn was a publicity stunt to brimg attention to the town.

Personally I think religion is the McGuffin when it comes to education around the world. Children get taught illogical and harmful ideas, not to mention useless ones, in many secular settings.

On one level schools teach things which neither improve children nor are any use to them in the workplace. Some of these ideas are traditional and should have died the death long ago, and others are new but politically motivated and highly suspect.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."