Studio C and JK Studios

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SilentDawning

Studio C and JK Studios

Post by SilentDawning » 19 Oct 2020, 04:45

I was wondering if anyone has watched Studio C -- the LDS equivalent of Saturday Night Live.

Here is one of their comedy sketches that went viral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0

Apparently the original cast left Studio C and formed their own YouTube channel called JK Studios within the last year ago. (I think JK stands for Just Kidding). This was Matt Meese, Mallory, Whitney, etcetera.

The quality of the Studio C comedy sketches under the original cast was excellent in my view -- even better than Saturday Night Live material. And it was clean being a church-entity sponsored comedy show. It's easy to go for the laugh when the comedy is off-color in my view. And much harder to come up with clean comedy. But they did it.

Here is another one that is good clean comedy based on the original cast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIh3N7_xGk

Has anyone ever wondered why the original cast didn't get picked up by a major network? They ended up in the lesser YouTube celebrity world after they left the church-entity sponsored Studio C....
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Re: Studio C and JK Studios

Post by DarkJedi » 19 Oct 2020, 05:07

I am a fan of Studio C and watch mostly on the BYUTV app (mostly on Roku). I have looked at Youtube stuff and some of the stuff JK has done. I have lobster bisque t-shirt. :D
Has anyone ever wondered why the original cast didn't get picked up by a major network? They ended up in the lesser YouTube celebrity world after they left the church-entity sponsored Studio C....
I don't wonder. The major networks/cable channels aren't interested in anything that's so squeaky clean. No sex jokes? No swearing? Who'd watach? (From their point of view.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 19 Oct 2020, 13:40

Every once in a while, I'll watch it. I haven't watched it in a quite a while, though. There are some skits that are hilarious and some that are so-so. Honestly, I could never really get into Saturday Night Live. Though, Dana Carvey as The Church Lady was great. Some members of the church a long time ago, before my faith transition, made there own version of it called It's Latter-Day Night Live!. Ugh. I thought it was just stupid, really awful.

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 19 Oct 2020, 20:04

I think they just don’t have that big of an audience. Even at a place like BYU, maybe half of people like clean comedy. The other half are fine with or even prefer more naughty humor.

Personally, I think they have a few really funny sketches, but a lot of their videos are pretty cringeworthy. It really is harder to make clean comedy, and the major networks want consistent hits, not just an occasional viral video. And that’s just much easier to do with dirty jokes.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 19 Oct 2020, 20:55

It's interesting that you would post this today. I ran across Studio C for the first time today & sent the following link to
my sons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0&t=7s

Scott Sterling is hilarious. (The man, the myth, the legend.)

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Oct 2020, 08:40

It has just been announced that original cast member Jason Gray will be returning to Studio C. https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2 ... jk-studios
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction