Falling Upward

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mom3

Falling Upward

Post by mom3 » 24 Feb 2014, 17:17

I am in the midst of reading Falling Upwardby Richard Rohr. The ideas in it tickle my stage 5/6 desire. I have attached a well written review on his book, I disagree with the reviewers final 2 paragraphs, but I get her point. Anyway, it 's a hopeful we might all be able to use.

http://www.christiancentury.org/reviews ... chard-rohr
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mercyngrace

Re: Falling Upward

Post by mercyngrace » 24 Feb 2014, 19:01

I loved this book. Listened to the audible version and couldn't turn it off. It struck so many familiar chords.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 24 Feb 2014, 19:50

Count this as another recommendation. I haven't heard a single negative review about it from friends.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

opentofreedom

Post by opentofreedom » 25 Feb 2014, 11:27

Thanks so much for sharing that review. I have heard of the book but haven't really taken the time to read it. I can't wait to listen to it. I loved what this paragraph from the review states:
Then—a crisis. "Some kind of falling," Rohr says, is necessary for continued spiritual development. "Normally a job, fortune, or reputation has to be lost," writes Rohr, "a death has to be suffered, a house has to be flooded, or a disease has to be endured." The crisis can be devastating. The crisis undoes you. The flood doesn't just flood your house—it washes out your spiritual life. What you thought you knew about living the spiritual life no longer suffices for the life you are living.
Even reading this review helped me to feel better about my FT. Today I woke up feeling like I wanted to go back to the way things were. I was wishing so desperately to regain my "innocence" and faith. I was extremely fearful for my the effects it will have on my family and even my emotional welfare. But I realize that this is a perfect opportunity for growth and progression. Thanks so much for sharing! It was just what I needed today. I can't wait to listen to it
Last edited by opentofreedom on 25 Feb 2014, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste: the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mom3

Post by mom3 » 25 Feb 2014, 11:56

Funny side note for this today. I took the book with me to the gym this morning, I'm rehabing a knee, so I bike. What better thing to do on a stationary bike than read. Leaving the gym, I got in my car, and tried to slide to book into the CD player. :clap: Everyone mentioning the audio versions, inspired me to try the impossible. It was a good laugh to start my day.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

opentofreedom

Post by opentofreedom » 25 Feb 2014, 13:06

:clap: brilliant. That is great. Sounds like something I would do. thanks for the laughs.
Namaste: the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 15 Apr 2021, 14:39

This book looks like it would be so perfect for me!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~