Mormon Stories Podcast: 3 Interfaith Amigos

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Heber13
Site Admin

Mormon Stories Podcast: 3 Interfaith Amigos

Post by Heber13 » 15 Nov 2013, 10:20

I recommend listening to this podcast.

You can find it here: (link)

To me, I was inspired by the example of these good guys who cling to their faith, but feel no superiority to others' and their faith.

If you want to try to figure out how to StayLDS and maybe not believe it is the "one true church"...this podcast may give you some things to chew on.

Anyone else feel it gave them ideas?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Orson
Site Admin

Re: Mormon Stories Podcast: 3 Interfaith Amigos

Post by Orson » 15 Nov 2013, 15:27

Yes, it was excellent! This is the type of exercise that can help us develop our spiritual muscles so we can climb the mountain out of the fog and see the sun again.

I also highly recommend this Mormon Matters podcast on the Expectation to Know:
http://mormonmatters.org/podcast/MormonMatters-199.mp3
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 16 Nov 2013, 22:16

Haven't listened to all of them, but particularly liked Imam Jamal's discussion of Islam, since I've had very little exposure to that religion. I had never heard anyone explain what it means to be Muslim...basically that anyone who is trying to become free of the ego and be a good human being is considered a Muslim (according to Jamal). I hadn't realized that they view God as formless, boundless, incomprehensible, and infinitely compassionate. God is everywhere and is in everything. He even entertained the idea that Jesus, Buddha, and many mystics may have been manifestations of the same God (Allah). Listening to him speak of mystical or spiritual Islam was such a stark contrast to the conservative Muslim views I've heard in the media.

So far what has jumped out at me the most in these podcasts has been evidence of something I've been noticing for some time now: that cold, hard dogmatism seems to be problematic in every religion.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Ann

Post by Ann » 17 Nov 2013, 03:37

Heber13 wrote:
Anyone else feel it gave them ideas?
I loved these podcasts. I keep thinking about Rabbi Ted Falcon's somewhat perplexed replies to John Dehlin's questions about fitting in to orthodox Mormon culture. The rabbi says to just. . . not fit. And don't let anyone say you're not a Mormon. You are. I don't know if he fully appreciates what differently-believing people are up against in a church with a leadership structure like ours. One of his suggestions is to get together small, like-minded study and worship groups. Umm, that's not going to work. But even if the letter of his suggestions don't work, I love the spirit of them.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11