Buddhism in the Ensign

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
mom3

Buddhism in the Ensign

Post by mom3 » 11 Nov 2013, 08:11

I've been very fascinated with Buddhism and it's principles and today in searching some information on it I ran across an Ensign article from 1972 on it. The article is long and I don't know what I think of the author's conclusion but the fact that an article that is so detailed about another religion/philosphy ever appeared in the Ensign was a total shock to me. If you want to glance at it feel free, it is long so if you don't finish it, I totally understand.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/06/buddhism
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mackay11

Re: Buddhism in the Ensign

Post by mackay11 » 11 Nov 2013, 10:03

Cool, thanks :)

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 11 Nov 2013, 10:58

This was truly a fascinating read. I have been on an Eckhart Tolle kick lately, and he draws heavily from these Eastern traditions.

Here are a couple of LDS parallels that jumped out at me most forcefully.
Buddhism teaches that in mortality men run the ever-present risk of neglecting the inner man, the higher spiritual forces of life. In his struggle for existence man seeks the satisfaction of his physical needs and his mind is engrossed in material things. He faces the hazard of spiritual atrophy, through involvement in the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of its riches. Buddhists believe that the only antidote is withdrawal, repairing to secret chambers and quiet places of worship where reverence for the eternal can be encouraged.
Putting off the natural man? Search, ponder and pray?
In Buddhism, all reality is one. The starting point is a belief in the ultimate nonexistence of separate personalities, and the ultimate goal is negation of ego. The Buddhist approach follows the assertion of Gotama, “all is without a self,” which is basic to the Buddhist explanation of man’s predicament.
Atonement, or at-one-ment? Surrendering to the will of God?

Thanks so much for sharing, mom3!
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Nov 2013, 15:24

My take is that Buddhism is wisdom mingled with the misguided philosophies of men. It has great insight, mixed sometimes with occultic and sinister practises. It provides great social wisdom, combined sometimes with feudalism. It matches the greatest intellectuals, and yet also incorporates quaint folk traditions.

Buddhism in the west, is of course, little like the Asian version.
Atonement, or at-one-ment? Surrendering to the will of God?
No quite different. One's pantheism, and the other is uniting yourself with the will of God.
Putting off the natural man? Search, ponder and pray?
Buddhism talks a lot about what we'd think of as the natural man. You're right on here.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

conflicted testimony

Post by conflicted testimony » 11 Nov 2013, 15:35

There is a series of articles in the ensign from that time period covering a few of the different beliefs. I found a lot of the articles from back then really informative, or a launching point for further investigation (eg the Palestinian conflict).

I must get back to them .... I gave up when the Gospel library kept on being upgraded and everytime I did that, it deleted all my bookmarks. Very frustrating!

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 11 Nov 2013, 17:02

SamBee wrote:
Life_Journey_of_Matt wrote:Atonement, or at-one-ment? Surrendering to the will of God?
No quite different. One's pantheism, and the other is uniting yourself with the will of God.
You don't have to take it to complete pantheism. Maybe God does have some attributes that are more easily explained from a pantheistic viewpoint vs. an anthropomorphic viewpoint. Have you ever considered where the "Light of Christ" might come from? Without or within? Some would say it emanates from everything.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Nov 2013, 17:22

I've said often that if I wasn't Christian, I would be Buddhist. If I left the LDS Church at any point, I would be non-denominational and get more into Buddhism.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 11 Nov 2013, 18:52

SamBee wrote:My take is that Buddhism is wisdom mingled with the misguided philosophies of men. It has great insight, mixed sometimes with occultic and sinister practises. It provides great social wisdom, combined sometimes with feudalism. It matches the greatest intellectuals, and yet also incorporates quaint folk traditions...
-sigh-

Sorry Ray, but you know what is coming....

That sounds a lot like another religion that gets talked about on this forum. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » 11 Nov 2013, 18:54

For the record Matt, I'm a Pantheist, and proud of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Nov 2013, 21:09

Yeah, cwald, I saw that one coming. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken