The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Brian Johnston
Site Admin

The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

Post by Brian Johnston » 18 Jan 2012, 14:19

Joanna Brooks just published her recent book "The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith." I purchased it just now, and wanted to create a placeholder to discuss it. Joanna is brilliant and very good at describing the Mormon experience from the perspective that many of us here share.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-Girl- ... 366&sr=1-4
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

Post by hawkgrrrl » 06 Feb 2012, 06:18

I just finished reading this, and I heartily recommend it to our StayLDS audience. The issues Joanna grapples with are how to square her Mormon identity and love for Mormonism with her own feminism, liberal politics, and marrying a Jewish husband. It was elegaic and moving. Her final chapter is extremely uplifting and hopeful.

Can't recommend it enough!

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 08 Feb 2012, 07:18

Hehe, forgot about starting this thread. I finished it too. Good book! I also recommend it to the community here. Joanna has a great way of sharing her story, and being positive and confident about her personal unorthodox journey in Mormonism.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

observant

Post by observant » 10 Feb 2012, 11:13

"Some think it's holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it's letting go. "~Sylvia Robinson

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 28 Apr 2012, 17:22

I liked her book. I didn't feel like I really had any family to recommend it to, but it was enjoyable for me.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Apr 2012, 22:34

Good book. :thumbup:

Good Tom Haws sighting. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 09 Oct 2012, 20:11

I know... this thread's really old, but I just got through reading the book and had to add my two cents to the pot. It was excellent! Joanna's roughly twenty years younger than I am but I feel as if I've really found a kindred spirit in her. Talk about a uplifting book!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~