Ye Are Gods by Annalee Skarin

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
just me

Ye Are Gods by Annalee Skarin

Post by just me » 19 Aug 2009, 12:23

I really enjoyed this book once I got out of the first two chapters. It is a book that you could skip around in if you want (I did). The first two chapters were pretty basic which is why they were rather slow to me. You will have to enjoy or look past the '50's language that the book is written in.

Annalee, a Mormon mystic, was inspired to write this book and gave the credit to God. It appears she never even received royalties from her books and died quite poor.
I believe she had quite the spiritual journey! One of her daughters was near death and she and her daughter saw the heavens open up and angels, etc. It was a life changing event for them both. She divorced and remarried, but never consummated her final marriage to her true love because of Christ's words about adultery. She spent many nights kneeling in the snow at the Logan Temple praying for God's guidance in her life.

You can read a lot more about her here. She believed so very literally in the scriptures. She was excommunicated from the church some time after her book was published. She had given firesides and members had study groups about her book. She had her own following and kind of became a mythologized figure. She believed herself to have been translated. I believe she caught on to the deeper meanings of the scriptures without letting go of her literal belief, which fascinates me.

The book was ahead of its time, IMO. It does sometimes have a new age flavor. She talks about the power of faith and healing and our divine nature. It explores the potential that humans have. I love the part that talks about the great universal law-we reap what we sow.
She speaks of the power of love and how we can use it as a force of healing power in the world.

I think this is a great book for those with a literal belief to introduce more mystical possibilities in their faith. It also fits right in with many esoteric belief systems as well, IMO. I also recommend reading about her because it gives so much flavor to her writings.

I'm interested in reading her other books as well....in my spare time. :lol:
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Bill Atkinson

Re: Ye Are Gods by Annalee Skarin

Post by Bill Atkinson » 19 Aug 2009, 19:02

Thank you Just Me, this is not the kind of book that I would ever seek out, notice in a book store or even consider reading, however it is wonderfully quirky. The Wikipedia entry seems pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annalee_Skarin but it is too bad that she "faked" her translation in the 1950s, it does put a bit of a tarnish on the whole process.

In some ways people like her are a good touchstone for Joseph Smith. Both of them had what could be called mystical experiences and without more study and some reading I would not automatically doubt that Annalee had an actual, legitimate spiritual experience. The problem is that for her it seems to have become a way for personal gain. Now yes in Nauvoo Joseph finally did have a house and a bit of what could be called "wealth" (of sorts but always quite tentative) but it was always clear that the money that was raised by the church in those days went either to purchasing land so that the gathering saints could have places to live and farm or into the temples.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work and find some spare time and give us another review. :roll:
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.
Ernest Ludwig Kirchner