Elder Uchtdorf address - Fellow Travelers April 2015

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Elder Uchtdorf address - Fellow Travelers April 2015

Post by mom3 » 27 May 2015, 15:03

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: Elder Uchtdorf address - Fellow Travelers April 2015

Post by DarkJedi » 27 May 2015, 19:41

Thanks for sharing. Here are a few of my favorites from this speech:
The effort to throw off traditions of distrust and pettiness and truly see one another with new eyes—to see each other not as aliens or adversaries but as fellow travelers, brothers and sisters, and children of God—is one of the most challenging while at the same time most rewarding and ennobling experiences of our human existence.
Today, the LDS Church connects cultures, nationalities, languages, and people of every socio-economic status. It encourages people to be good citizens, to care for those who are in distress, to be kind to others, and to nurture and build loving, respectful families.
Today, Church members seek to create goodwill among people of all religious beliefs and political persuasions and of every race. One of our articles of faith states, “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.”
We can and must stand and let our voices be heard. We don’t need to be provocative or belittling, but we must not allow our fears to prevent us from lifting our voices in defense of what is right and good and true.
Nevertheless, there is one virtue—one quality—that could solve all the world’s ills, cure all the hatred, and mend every wound.
If we only learned to love God as our Father in Heaven, this would give us purpose in life.
If we only learned to love our fellowman as our brothers and sisters, this would give us compassion.
After all, these are God’s great commandments—to love God and to love our fellowman. If we distill religion down to its essence, we nearly always recognize that love is not merely the goal of religion, it is also the path of true discipleship. It is both the journey and the destination.
We must love all of God’s children because they are our brothers and sisters, even—and perhaps especially—those who are different from us or just appear strange.
This conviction and resolve to overcome our lower instincts and truly love all mankind regardless of race, religion, political ideology, and socioeconomic circumstances is one of the grand objectives of our human existence.
It is the essence of pure religion.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 May 2015, 05:23

Serious man crush.

If all people were like Pres. Uchtdorf . . .
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 May 2015, 08:11

Ray DeGraw wrote:Serious man crush.

If all people were like Pres. Uchtdorf . . .
To answer your question, This site might not exist if all people were like Pres. Uchtdorf.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 30 May 2015, 18:33

Mom3, that was very powerful! Thank you for sharing! :D

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 31 May 2015, 15:23

Thanks for sharing. I pop by and lurk a bit from time to time to find positive stories to help me remind myself that there is good in the church. It also gives me something positive to say/share about the church when I'm with my active family.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 31 May 2015, 16:41

Good to see you friend. You did so much to help and lift us, I am glad we can leave a crumb for you. Your're in my thoughts a lot. Glad you stopped by. Continued luck in your journey.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman