The Pantheism Thread

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
cwald

The Pantheism Thread

Post by cwald » 31 Dec 2014, 20:15

Last edited by Anonymous on 23 Jan 2015, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

MockingJay

Re: The Pantheism Thread

Post by MockingJay » 01 Jan 2015, 09:17

:clap: :thumbup: If all felt this way, what a wonderful world it would be. :D

Did you post this in "Useful quote of the day?"

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 01 Jan 2015, 09:19

Opps, sorry, just saw it there. Thanks Ray.

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 01 Jan 2015, 21:31

Cool quote! Who is Kahlin Graban?
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Jan 2015, 22:20

It is Kahlil Gibran. I am changing the original to correct the typo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahlil_Gibran
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 02 Jan 2015, 20:02

Last edited by Anonymous on 23 Jan 2015, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 03 Jan 2015, 00:20

Cwald, I love that Pope Francis quote. Where's it from originally? Any idea?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Jan 2015, 00:35

The Pope Francis quote is a Facebook-circulated quote that was not said by him. It is an extrapolation of other things he has said, with unknown origin. A more comprehensive explanation is on Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/popeatheist.asp
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 03 Jan 2015, 06:18

There is one by Marcus Arelius that I also like as it puts control back into the hands of the individual and away from institutional religion. But it's also in dispute about whether Aurelius actually said it.

Nonetheless, I think both quotes above have merit, regardless of who said it. The person doesn't have to be famous to speak profoundly....
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

cwald

Post by cwald » 03 Jan 2015, 18:06

Last edited by Anonymous on 23 Jan 2015, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.