Perfection

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Ilovechrist77

Re: Perfection

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 02 Aug 2014, 22:01

Wow. I agree with Mom3. I want to keep your reply too. I loved your recent episode of A Thoughtful Faith.

jhp33

Post by jhp33 » 04 Aug 2014, 15:32

From a book I'm reading:

In Luther's translation of the Bible, the word usually rendered perfect (teleioi) is rendered as vollkommen. That is, complete, whole, entire. The Atonement is not a backup plan in case we fall short in the process (as we inevitably will); it is the ordained means whereby we gradually become complete and whole, in a sin-strewn process of sanctification through which our Father patiently guides us.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Aug 2014, 16:37

Thanks jhp33 - I am sticking your definition with Wayfarers. These are both deep and helpful. Thanks team.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Aug 2014, 18:01

From the Quote of the Day thread:
“It seems that in the spiritual world, we do not really find something until we first lose it, ignore it, miss it, long for it, choose it, and personally find it again—but now on a new level. Three of the parables of Jesus are about losing something, searching for it anew with some effort, finding it, and in each case throwing a big party afterwards . . . . Falling, losing, failing, transgression, and sin are the pattern, I am sorry to report. Yet they all lead toward home.” (Richard Rohr, "Falling Upward", 66-67)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Aug 2014, 19:37

I love Falling Upward.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman