Steven Harper, BYU Women's Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Steven Harper, BYU Women's Conference

Post by DarkJedi »

I stumbled on this talk yesterday while watching BYUTV. Unfortunately it is video only at this point, no transcript. It is worth the half hour, though. Steven Harper is a historian for the church history department.

He uses D&C88:118 and talks about seeking. A few things stood out to me, but there is actually too much to write here. He talked a bit about cultural dynamics of Mormonism and said we think we know without doing any studying, we just repeat words, don't do any thinking, we don't question anything we don't feel we have a right to. He said seeking is seeing and sorting, seeing the difference between facts that are true no matter our perspective and assumptions that depend on point of view. He all but admitted he had his own face crisis but considers himself a seeker and a believer.

http://byutvbeta.byu.edu/watch/f9d7f1fe ... arper-2015
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction