Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Post by SamBee » 08 Aug 2015, 06:58

Most of it is very bad news. Especially Ouija, stay away.

Of course the Fox Sisters came from the same region as Smith.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Re: Ghosts, Spirits and Ouija Boards

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Aug 2015, 19:34

I believe that issues of spirits, salvation, life after death, certain health products, and even Ouiji/Ouija Boards are unproveable. And people milk people's lack of knowledge and the unverifiability of these phenomena to their own ends. I believe JS was likely very good at it, although he may have been operating from sincere personal belief.

I still remember how disillusioned I became when I was talking to a friend of mine about how I had said I had had revelation to do something, and had made promises to people of follow-through. Then, it became clear to me the action I had felt inspired to pursue, was somehow wrong. I mentioned this to my friend, who baptized me, about how awkward it felt to tell everyone I wasn't going to follow through, having said earlier that it was inspired.

he replied "That stuff is EASY to get out of". Meaning, the unverifiability and pliability of revelation makes it easy to recant and to fail to justify. I was shocked as I had previously made a huge life decision -- becoming a Mormon -- based on all the hype about revelation and how it should direct our lives. Unverifiability is one thing that makes religion and claims to inspiration so "workable" in religion.

I will say this -- once I participated in a Ouiji board session. I guess it was a seance of sorts. We all put our hands on the apparatus that sits on the ouiji board. And it started moving after we called the spirits. The problem was that three of us had our hands on the apparatus, so one person may have been moving it, and not telling the truth afterwards. I have had so little evidence of an extra-earthly world that I am agnostic about it. I have chosen indecision about it, as I have on so many other issues relating to religion, afterlife, inspiration, etcetera. God's silence is extremely loud to me.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young