Favorite Paintings

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SunbeltRed

Favorite Paintings

Post by SunbeltRed » 05 Feb 2015, 05:55

I didn't want to threadjack so starting another thread on this topic:

Nibbler has a new avatar and I am wondering what the painting is called and who the artist is? (mom3 I think could help answer this as well).

My other interest in this is that I have a collection of paintings on my wish list of copies or prints to buy.

I have also (very slowly) been working on putting together a ppt deck with my favorite paintings for my families evening "Spiritual time" so I can share with my family more about the different paintings and painters. Sometimes much easier and more spiritual than reading scriptures.

So what other people's favorite paintings?

One I have really appreciated lately is The School of Athens by Raphael. I have been reading about Greek History and Philosophy which speaks to me in a way Mormonism does not. This was a featured painting in a book called Philosophy for life and Other Dangerous Situations which I loved. And I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the Illiad right now.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has any favorite painting they would like to share.

nibbler

Re: Favorite Paintings

Post by nibbler » 05 Feb 2015, 06:52

I debated posting in the other thread. The worry was that I would derail it. I have no such worries in this thread since we started off with the same sentiment. ;)

I briefly changed my avatar to this:

I just did some digging and was surprised to find out that it was actually a photograph (I assumed it was a painting).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_%28photograph%29

Maybe it was the colorization process that gave the photo that painted look.

Why I made the change:
This hung in my grandparent's dining room. I remember seeing it every time I went to visit. My grandfather passed away and my grandmother asked if there was anything that I wanted. I asked for this picture.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 05 Feb 2015, 07:24

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Condolences to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing, I find art to be a place I can really connect spiritually sometimes and I'm glad you have found something that connects you to your grandfather.

-SBRed

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 05 Feb 2015, 12:20

So what other people's favorite paintings?
Currently, my favorite is Van Gogh's "Irises" at the J Paul Getty Museum in LA.
Do a Google search. It's worth it.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Feb 2015, 14:27

Mike - I have the "Irises in a Vase" in my kitchen, as well as Sunflowers and Red Flowers. Love them.

http://uploads7.wikiart.org/images/vinc ... s-1889.jpg

My favorite, this week is, Millet's The Gleaners
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 05 Feb 2015, 23:06

Hey Nibbler, that was my favorite painting too. It hung on the wall in my dining room for many years. It was a wedding gift. It didn't survive long in my home after the divorce :cry: But, the humility of the man always struck me, and it gave me a sense of peace and gratitude.

My current favorite is called "Cathedral of Commerce" by Rob Gonsalves. It is a painting where the inside of a cathedral, including an altar, give way to a city skyline. My husband described it as "where your heart should be, and where it often it". It's pretty cool. Here is a link to it: http://thinng.com/1093-rob-gonsalves-ca ... f-commerce

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 05 Feb 2015, 23:54

tmp_24539-IMG_20150205_2250111449523856.jpg
tmp_24539-IMG_20150205_2250111449523856.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Nearly anything from Bouguereau. Masterful doesn't describe his work. You see the essence of his subjects and his style is so profound. Very classic almost victorian.

There's something about seeing the originals up close, I've seen Degas in books all over the place, the dancers etc. and they never really stuck out to me. Then I saw one of them original, and it hit me. I almost cried in the middle of the Getty museum.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Mrs. SuperChicken

Post by Mrs. SuperChicken » 08 Feb 2015, 08:43

monet road.jpg
monet road.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 829 times
I love this painting. It is the road to Chailly by Monet. It hangs in my house. Seeing great art and stunning natural beauty I feel draws me to God and the Spirit in very strong ways.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Feb 2015, 09:30

Imagine if our Temple film was like Hieronymus Bosch.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 11 Feb 2015, 23:06

I walked past this painting in the Conference Center in SLC last summer after coping with thoughts from being recently divorced. Stopped and went back and stared at it for over 10 minutes.

She Will Find What Is Lost by Brian Kershisnik

(I didn't think for a minute it was car keys...but more something that I was feeling...and somehow feeling uplifted by the hope for unseen support while walking my path)
She Will Find What Is Lost by Brian Kershisnik.jpg
Heber13's Favorite
She Will Find What Is Lost by Brian Kershisnik.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 802 times
We went to Deseret Bookstore...and found the print on display...a second time. It struck me even more profoundly. We purchased it and took it home.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."