Age of Faith Crisis

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
LookingHard

Age of Faith Crisis

Post by LookingHard » 08 Dec 2014, 15:14

For those that have felt like they have had a faith crisis, what general age did this occur. Nothing specific - more of "Early 20's" or "late 30's" ...

I am asking because I keep hearing that most FC's occur earlier than mine. Mine was in my very early 50's.

mom3

Re: Age of Faith Crisis

Post by mom3 » 08 Dec 2014, 15:16

Mid-40's - and a massive blip one at 17.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Dec 2014, 16:14

Mine was 30.

I understand this to be fairly tipical because the "Early 20's" through "late 30's" age is a time of transition. People are going from their parents households to living on their own, to being married to being parents etc. There is ample opportunity for things to not work out the way that they had expected them too and to be analyzed with a more critical eye.

In contrast, I think the generalization would be that persons in their 50's and beyond have weathered many of life's storms, have in some ways been inalterably shaped by them, and are often pretty set in their ways (of doing and seeing - i.e. worldview).

Of course everyone's experience is personal and individual.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Dec 2014, 16:34

My full blown crisis was early 40s. There was a minor one late 20s.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 08 Dec 2014, 17:36

Early 50s

Ann

Post by Ann » 08 Dec 2014, 18:36

Early 50's.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Dec 2014, 18:57

I wouldn't call it a crisis, but I was 7 when I realized I saw things differently than everyone else and consciously had to start accepting my own perspective.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 09 Dec 2014, 00:01

Early 20s. Maybe 23?
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 09 Dec 2014, 07:03

First major one - 18 (thought I didn't know what to call it at the time)

The transitioning one - Mid 30's

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 09 Dec 2014, 08:18

In my 40's
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---