Christ Blessing the Little Children

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
MWallace57

Christ Blessing the Little Children

Post by MWallace57 » 28 Aug 2009, 17:35

During the month of August, I returned to Church for the very first time since November 2008.

I finally decided to purchase a little white suit and have my one-year old grandson blessed (we had talked this over with his parents and they attended). One of our friends who was also inactive attended church with us and had his one year old baby blessed also.

We each bore our testimonies and it felt so very strange as all of us are inactive, yet the spirit was so overpoweringly strong as our babies were blessed. None of us hold the Priesthood. We are families of divorce and my grandson's father was baptized but never received the Priesthood. Our friend with the one year old girl also does not have any family members who hold the Priesthood as his entire family has been inactive for many years.

Our Bishop performed the blessing for my grandson. There was my first little grandson, all dressed in pure white, including his shoes. He had never even seen the Bishop so when the Bishop tried to hold him, he started to scream, kick and cry. He is actually 13 months old and really, really strong. His screaming filled the entire chapel. Suddenly, Elvis (my grandson) was totally quiet and relaxed. He let the Bishop and members of the Bishopric hold him, he smiled softly and a look of peace came over his little face. He reached his little baby finger up toward the ceiling and gazed above him. He was blessed. The only sound was the sound of the Bishop's voice - Elvis was still.

I know my grandson. I took his peacefulness as a "Sure Sign from God". . . . . and you would have to know Elvis, he began to fuss within minutes after the blessing.

I went home and pondered the blessing of little children. It is a wonderment to me that one can be baptized by a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. The Sacrament can be blessed and passed by the Aaronic Priesthood. Angels can be summoned by the "Preparatory Priesthood", but only the Highest of the High Priesthood can perform a blessing on a child.
The blessing of children falls under the authority of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood, which is the Priesthood of the Son of God. It is as if Christ Himself blesses each baby.

Well, now, I am going to go back to Church. I cannot allow these little children to be blessed by Christ and then not teach them to fulfill God's will for them.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Christ Blessing the Little Children

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Aug 2009, 18:15

This is beautiful. Thank you.

One of the most powerful experiences of my life, especially in hindsight, involved the blessing of my second son. He was born three weeks early, but, other than being very small, there was no sign of any physical problem. He left the hospital on schedule and grew normally until this day - 19 years later. (medium height, skinny) He just started college - moving out of our house and into the dorms last week. Nothing remarkable, until you consider:

When he was blessed, I heard myself tell him that none of the physical trials he would experience in this life would have the power to divert him from the mission God had given him. I was surprised, as was my wife.

1) Five years later, we held him back in Headstart for a year to get additional help with a speech articulation issue. A nationally known speech therapist worked with him at no cost, because I was teaching two of her children in school - a job I felt prompted to take even though I wanted a different one.

2) Eight years ago, his appendix burst - apparently after leaking for about a week. The doctor told us it was the worst case he'd ever seen where the patient lived. He was in surgery for about eight hours.

3) Four years ago he was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes - perhaps because the poison from his appendix bursting had affected his pancreas. We don't know for sure, but there is no history of Type I diabetes in our families, so . . . (Our children have a long-standing pool focused on which of his organs will fail next.)

4) He is the only one of our six children who has extreme seasonal allergies.

5) All of us wear glasses, but his eyesight is the worst of the bunch.

6) He is the most naturally caring and spiritual kid I think I've ever met in my entire life. People are drawn to him immediately because he simply radiates joy and goodness. He has been an inspiration and help to more people in more ways than I can begin to elaborate. He just shines - and people flock to feel his light.

I believe deeply in the concept of baby blessings being a conduit of God's will in those situations where God has something He really needs to communicate - and I feel just as deeply that I was just the instrument through which He cradled and blessed my son 19 years ago. If that was the only experience with the divine I had ever had, it would be enough to convince me that there is a "God" who watches and knows us by name - and who knows the natural stuff we will experience as a result of mortality.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

MWallace57

Post by MWallace57 » 28 Aug 2009, 18:50

Thanks Ray,

Children are such a blessing in this life. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My grandson will be a 7th generation Latterday Saint. He will face his own challenges. He was born at 35 weeks, (about 5 weeks early). He didn't do very well with his breathing the first hour or so, but then he perked up and really started to fight. He was released from the hospital, but my daughter was still very ill and had to stay. She had had several complications during the pregnancy and at one time was diagnosed as having a miscarriage!!!

I really thank the Lord that my grandson is healthy today.

Bill Atkinson

Post by Bill Atkinson » 28 Aug 2009, 19:30

Thank you both MWallace and Ray

I consider that I have just had the extreme privilege of being at an "internet testimony meeting" and the tears are spilling down my face and making typing a bit difficult. Both of you are amazing and the Spirit is very strong in my heart and soul at this moment in time. Again, thank you it is a privilege that I will put into my journal like I do when I come home from a great Sacrament meeting or testimony meeting so that I can always come back to it in times of difficulty and once again reach out and touch the Holy Ghost reaching out to all of us.

(Hmm, the Gospel Doctrine Manual doesn't feel like much of an problem within the context of the love and wonder the two of you have shared. :)
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.
Ernest Ludwig Kirchner

just me

Post by just me » 28 Aug 2009, 22:28

Thank you for sharing.

Jesus blessing the children is one of my all time favorite scripture passages. I believe our ritual of blessing our little ones is absolutely beautiful.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb