On Own Now, Again

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

On Own Now, Again

Post by On Own Now » 18 Jun 2014, 18:20

Thank you, all of you, for the dialog. I have been comforted and uplifted by your combined voices. I'm going to step away from StayLDS, now. I feel like I've reached a place where I'm comfortable with my relationship with the Church, and I have all of you to thank for that. I consider many of you my friends. Who knows what the future may hold... I might be back.

I leave you with a favorite passage from the writings of Paul. In talking about disagreement over whether certain foods could be eaten or should be avoided, Paul sidestepped the question and reminded the Romans to accept each other, act out of love more than exactness, and to allow others to work out their own relationship with God, even if they follow a different approach:
Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another. I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. If your brother or sister is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died. So do not let your good be spoken of as evil.

For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. The one who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and has human approval. Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for you to make others fall by what you eat; it is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that makes your brother or sister stumble. The faith that you have, have as your own conviction before God. --Romans 14:13-22
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Oneofmany

Re: On Own Now, Again

Post by Oneofmany » 18 Jun 2014, 18:38

Thank you for all you have done and know that you are always welcome and will be missed, so please visit!

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Jun 2014, 18:43

Thanks, friend. I'll miss you.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 18 Jun 2014, 21:29

Please visit. Your contributions will be very missed.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 18 Jun 2014, 21:30

On Own - thank you for saying good-bye. So many of your comments have uplifted me and given me hope. Best of luck. I personally would love to hear from you every once in a while, even if it's just a simple "hello".
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Jun 2014, 22:15

Losing you will be hard to accept, friend - but I am very happy you are at a good place and that we were able to be part of that.

God be with you - no matter how you frame that personally.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 18 Jun 2014, 22:49

I am sad to read this, but so happy that I can search this forum and access your calm, wise words. Best wishes.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2014, 06:36

Thanks for all your inspiring comments. In the language of the church... your comments have always shown me a more celestial way. I feel like you've expanded my capacity to love.

I hate to see you go. I feel like your voice is one that is needed, at least for me.

Would love to meet up with you in real life some day.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 19 Jun 2014, 06:57

That's too bad. I've noticed a cycle though -- people leave,and then things change in their lives and they want back again. Some do, some don't. Time will tell. Best of luck to you!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 19 Jun 2014, 21:03

I definitely feel that yours is one of the more valuable voices we've had on the forum—at least for me. My sincere thanks. I hope you still drop by every now and then.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien