BYU Magazine

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DarkJedi

Re: BYU Magazine

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Apr 2014, 08:18

I have read this article a couple times now and this quote jumps out at me: "Doubt creates space for faith to exist. Faith has no meaning without doubt." It's by Fluhman in the 13th paragraph. I think this is exactly what Pres. Uchtdorf was saying when he said we should first doubt or doubts before we doubt our faith.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey » 28 Apr 2014, 00:12

Huge thanks for this post! Shared with my parents and they are already striking a very different tone (more positive) with my questions and seeking ways. This BYU article did what seemed the impossible! :clap:
Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. ...You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

“You have to carry the fire."I don't know how to."Yes, you do."Is the fire real? The fire? "Yes it is."Where is it? I don't know where it is." Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.”― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Apr 2014, 03:33

Shades of Grey wrote:Huge thanks for this post! Shared with my parents and they are already striking a very different tone (more positive) with my questions and seeking ways. This BYU article did what seemed the impossible! :clap:
I am glad this was of value to you. It's worthwhile if it made a difference for only one person - and it appears that it has!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 28 Apr 2014, 12:33

Great article... thanks for posting it hawkgrrrl!

The Do's and Don'ts struck me as applicable to people like us every bit as much as to our faithful family members.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Notchet

Post by Notchet » 30 Apr 2014, 11:49

I look forward to part II of this BYU Mag article discussing "What to do if/when a loved one's doubts leads them eventually out of the church". That is the true test of unconditional love.