Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Post by SamBee »

Eminem = munch 'n' mingle lol
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth »

I guess I'm still dense.

TBM - True believing Mormon .... still do not understand what that means.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net
conflicted testimony

Post by conflicted testimony »

TBM to me is a true-blue, dinky-di, card holding, by the book Mormon.

ie a Mormon that holds fast and true to the rod and doesn't look too far away from it. Follows all the teachings and questions nothing - or appears to be so.

That's just my take on it, could be totally wrong and happy to be corrected.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

or appears to be so.

Since it literally is impossible to follow all the teachings, that disclaimer is an important one. As we say here fairly frequently, everyone picks and chooses what they will accept and "follow" and what they won't. If anyone doubts that, look at the most extreme conservative wing of the Church (the most "TBM" of all, perhaps) and their general reaction to the Church's stances on immigration issues. It's really enlightening.

Also, fwiw, as I've said in other threads (and maybe this one, but I'm too lazy tonight to check ;) ), I personally don't like that term, since it almost always is used derisively and dismissively. That's just a personal hangup of mine.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass »

DH? Designated hitter? I think I came across DW as well?

Meaning....?
mom3

Post by mom3 »

VikingCompass - DH and DW are Dear Husband and Dear Wife. I like Designated Hitter, though. :clap:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
overwhelmed

-

Post by overwhelmed »

-
Last edited by overwhelmed on 03 May 2014, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
I don´t belong here
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

It looks like the site might have lapsed since it was posted here initially and someone grabbed it to put that page on it. Sad.

Thanks for catching the change. I have deleted the link.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

overwhelmed wrote:The second link given in the post leads you to "Breast Implants With Cosmetic Surgery". :o
Sorry, can you just give me that link again please?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: