Tithing: a Costly Leap of Faith

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mom3

Re: Tithing: a Costly Leap of Faith

Post by mom3 » 30 Dec 2013, 19:27

Mercyngrace - Beyond loving your comment, which I do, I love when you can drop by. You have mentioned how full your life is - from my heart - thanks for chiming in. Just seeing your name lifts me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 30 Dec 2013, 21:44

I also admit that I only read up to page 7. :) For me it's academic right now, but I have a hard time resisting the challenge of figuring out the riddle.

For a while I was feeling totally convinced that paying on net made the most logical sense. Then when talking to my wife about it after dinner, I realized that maybe I need to change my mind. The money you pay in taxes may not ever see your bank account, but you still get something out of it. It pays for you child's education, roads so you can get to work easily, law enforcement, etc. If the government weren't taking care of those things, you'd be obligated to spend your own time and money on such needs as they came up. Would you then exempt all that money from tithing? Church doctrine requires us to obey the law; so is paying taxes really that different from other required spending like rent or electricity? I get needs and wants met by taxes as much as by other things I pay for. The line starts to feel even more blurry when I start to look at it that way.

I'm just glad that when the rubber meets the road, the official stance leaves it up to individual interpretation.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 31 Dec 2013, 06:30

mom3 wrote:Mercyngrace - Beyond loving your comment, which I do, I love when you can drop by. You have mentioned how full your life is - from my heart - thanks for chiming in. Just seeing your name lifts me.
Thanks momof3. I have been stopping in to read since I've had some time off over the holidays. Feels like I've been catching up with old friends :) I hope you are doing well!
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 May 2018, 12:59

Roy wrote:
23 May 2013, 15:53
Shawn,

I just have a few observations that pop out to me from the quotes provided (and general experiences) but I'm not sure that you see it the same way.

1) The understanding and teaching of tithing has changed over time.
2) The current general understanding of most active members and local leadership is that an honest tithe represents 10% of gross.
3) The official church statement of tithing leaves the door open to other interpretations and introspection.
4) While the official statement doesn't clarify much between gross or net, it does seem to discourage a surplus based approach.

Do you disagree with any of these points?
It gets even more interesting when you consider that the government's "gross" is loosely what we think is the "net" - so even if you want to pay on the "gross" - which one?