TR Question Survey - Question 10b: Word of Wisdom

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.

Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 38

bc_pg

Re: TR Question Survey - Question 10b: Word of Wisdom

Post by bc_pg »

and one thing i find absolutely true in the word of wisdom: a ripe fruit in its season is the best. When a tree-ripened Utah peach is ready, it's absolutely magnificent.
Every year the fresh peach shakes at Taco Amigo (if you live in Utah Valley) are out of this world.
rebeccad

Post by rebeccad »

For me the answer is yes.

I do think that if I am going to use the historical definition of the WoW, that I would also have to accept other historical doctrine as well.

Since I'm not cool with polygamy, blacks not having the priesthood, etc. I choose the modern definition of the WoW.

For me, my commitment to not partaking of the big 4 is separate from my feelings about the church. I become addicted to things easily. I know myself well enough to know that I would drink coffee all day, not just a cup in the morning, that I would drink a lot of alcohol, and drink it often, and smoke quite frequently. For me, it is the best choice to stay away, because I have a hard time with moderation.
"The very same people who are good sometimes are the very same people who are bad sometimes, it's funny but it's true" -Fred Rogers
cwald

Post by cwald »

rebeccad wrote:For me the answer is yes.

I do think that if I am going to use the historical definition of the WoW, that I would also have to accept other historical doctrine as well.

Since I'm not cool with polygamy, blacks not having the priesthood, etc. I choose the modern definition of the WoW.

For me, my commitment to not partaking of the big 4 is separate from my feelings about the church. I become addicted to things easily. I know myself well enough to know that I would drink coffee all day, not just a cup in the morning, that I would drink a lot of alcohol, and drink it often, and smoke quite frequently. For me, it is the best choice to stay away, because I have a hard time with moderation.

Excellent R....that is an very good personal insight into your spiritual journey.

We do not all fit in the box...so it is nice to see and hear when the church works and fits and helps folks progress. Thank you.

As for myself...I sit out in my personal oasis in shorts and sandals on this 95 degree day, sipping on my home made brew, and just give thanks for life and send a little positive energy SD's way. Cheers friends.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby
Brian Johnston

Post by Brian Johnston »

I would like to add that I fully believe people can follow the WoW as a devotional practice and find great spiritual and health benefit too. It doesn't need any justification. I totally support folks who do so, and admire their devotion and discipline. I think avoidance of the forbidden four could be a very spiritual practice, even after faith transition changes one's perspective.

There is something of power, in a way, to setting one's self apart from "the world" in some shape or form. I feel the same way about other religious cultures -- not eating pork, or being vegetarian, etc.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.
Kumahito

Post by Kumahito »

Brian, your earlier post hit it so square for me, I can't imagine how to improve it.

A few years ago, after discovering the historical timeline of the WoW, I decided that I'd have a beer. I really like the taste - picked up a taste for it in my wayward youth :lol: So I had a beer with dinner, twice, in about a month. Then I ultimately decided that I wasn't going to drink for the same reason Brian says he won't parse language on the question - I don't want to have to hide it. It's really only a minor sacrifice for me - I really do like the taste, and would thoroughly enjoy a beer with dinner, but it's not that hard not to.

Another reason - in a former life I've prosecuted and defended a whole bunch of criminal cases. Over 85% involve either a violation of the WoW (modern interpretation) or the LoC. I had the misfortune of both prosecuting and defending over 20 adult-victim sex offenses, and EVERY SINGLE ONE involved two drunk people. This is likely a subject for another thread (and probably for another blog), but from my experience in the crim justice system, the number one thing a woman can do as a preventative measure against being sexually assaulted is to not over-indulge in alcohol.

For all of the above, I don't drink a beer every now and then, although I really don't think I'd be violating the true WoW.
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde
Bruce in Montana

Post by Bruce in Montana »

I'm gonna vote YES....
However, I eat way too much meat...probably every day.
I drink beer, but I don't over-indulge.....and I don't drink hard liquor or wine.
I enjoy a good cigar when fly-fishing from time to time.

For a formal TR interview, I would flunk. Between me and the Lord, I feel that I'm just fine.

Well, except the meat thing.

I can't help but remembering Joseph Smith's admonition (paraphrasing).... "If anything contradicts a former revelation, put it down as a lie". Making a suggestion that is clearly meant to be "NOT a commandment" into a "commandment"....is a contradiction. Please straighten me out if I'm incorrect here.

So...IMHO...If you are taking it as "good advise" and not some "commandment"....you ARE living the WoW....

Right?

Joseph Smith warned us and what did we do? ..... Fell right into it. And here we are.

Personally, I'd love to take a time machine back to Nauvoo and share a beer with the prophet. I'd also love to talk with Brigham Young regarding Adam-God and the "racism" thing .... I can't help but wonder what his reaction would be if I told him that in the future, if he wanted to be a temple worker...he would have to shave.

God bless us all...

What have we become?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-William S.
rebeccad

Post by rebeccad »

I can't help but wonder what his reaction would be if I told him that in the future, if he wanted to be a temple worker...he would have to shave.
Indeed, or if he wanted to attend his own namesake university.
"The very same people who are good sometimes are the very same people who are bad sometimes, it's funny but it's true" -Fred Rogers
BobDixon

Post by BobDixon »

I'm sorry, I didn't have the stamina to read all the replies, but I think the intent of the question is obvious and what they mean it to mean is obvious. Originally the WoW was a law of health that taught moderation, but now it means abstinence and that's what your bishop and stake president mean when they ask the question. I don't consider it really honest to use one definition for the term for yourself, knowing full well your leader means something completely different.

This is distinct from vaguer areas like what "sustain" means or what "tithing" means where the question is intentionally open to personal interpretation.

Personally I feel I keep the WoW because I try to moderate consumption of alcohol, coffee, soda, meat, I avoid energy drinks, I exercise, and I go to the doctor regularly and try to get adequate sleep.

I know this is not the definition the person holding the recommend book is using, though, so I have to answer "no".
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

BobDixon wrote:Personally I feel I keep the WoW because I try to moderate consumption of alcohol, coffee, soda, meat, I avoid energy drinks, I exercise, and I go to the doctor regularly and try to get adequate sleep.

I know this is not the definition the person holding the recommend book is using, though, so I have to answer "no".
i appreciate and respect your point of view.

i have a simple question: to whom are you accountable for your relationship with the god of your understanding?
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com
BobDixon

Post by BobDixon »

i appreciate and respect your point of view.

i have a simple question: to whom are you accountable for your relationship with the god of your understanding?
We're ultimately accountable to God, but we're also taught the principle of orderly submission to earthly authority, i.e. "render unto Caesar", etc., as well as the basic principle of honesty. So I'm accountable to God alone for whether or not I follow the Wow, but also for whether I might give an intentionally evasive answer to the TR question.