When does the anger go away?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Euhemerus

Re: When does the anger go away?

Post by Euhemerus » 08 Jun 2010, 08:18

God allowed these people to suffer so that we could have a legacy of faith.
:: sigh :: Incidentally, our EQ meeting this last week was all about the LDS church being the one and only true church (which we get a lot of in my ward). One individual said that we have ALL the truth (literally, those were his words). It was the first time I remember anyone saying that expressly (as opposed to "fulness" or something). My first thought was "crap, I came to the wrong church this week. I thought my church believed in continuing revelation and progression. What am I doing here?"

I just had one thought. I think Brian hit on it already a bit.

I try to view it as creating our own mythology. People tell stories, and in Mormonism, we use stories for the express purpose of building faith. I bet you have no problem with comic books, or hollywood movies that try to teach a lesson, or moral through a story. Since you know, and accept that they're not factual, you don't allow that detail to get in the way of your learning the lesson being conveyed. I try to apply the same idea to church. It all may be factual, or it may not, in any case, it's likely aggrandized. But it makes no difference, I just try to not allow that detail to get in the way of me learning the lesson being portrayed.

If you were Catholic and had the idea of transubstantiation preached to you, you might feel the same way. But you'd be missing some very cool symbolism and associated spiritual benefit.
Don't believe everything you think
- bumper sticker I saw one day

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: When does the anger go away?

Post by Heber13 » 08 Jun 2010, 09:00

Euhemerus wrote:One individual said that we have ALL the truth (literally, those were his words). ...My first thought was "crap, I came to the wrong church this week. I thought my church believed in continuing revelation and progression. What am I doing here?" [\quote]Nice! :D
Euhemerus wrote:It all may be factual, or it may not, in any case, it's likely aggrandized. But it makes no difference, I just try to not allow that detail to get in the way of me learning the lesson being portrayed.
I'd agree with you Eu, and I lean towards "aggrandized" - that did make me kinda angry for a while, feeling like I was taught it was all literal and perfect...but many accounts and some documented details we now know make it seem like the stories have been passed down over generations to support a story, and it is probably a natural thing for me that there are events that actually did occur to individuals, but retelling them in words is a difficult thing to do.

And so, like you, I have tried to focus on the value in learning the lessons, not the proof of the detailed events. But it can make one frustrated when listening to literalists on Sunday. To me, that's ok, that is just another purpose of religion and learning to love others despite it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."