Tithing Settlement during the pandemic

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Re: Tithing Settlement during the pandemic

Post by AmyJ » 16 Nov 2020, 11:28

I believe that Bishops & Branch Presidents normally serve for about 5 years - so, if this was your 4th time meeting with him, in theory you may only need to meet with him 1x more (with zero more times a possibility).

Roy

Post by Roy » 16 Nov 2020, 12:21

AmyJ wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 11:28
I believe that Bishops & Branch Presidents normally serve for about 5 years - so, if this was your 4th time meeting with him, in theory you may only need to meet with him 1x more (with zero more times a possibility).
Yeah, I thought that too. The following exchange played out in my mind.

Bishop: "This has been the fourth time that we have had this same meeting without meaningful progress."
Me: "Cheer up bishop, that means that we only have to do this a time or two more until you get released!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 17 Nov 2020, 19:59

Well it's official for our Ward: our Bishop is scheduling virtual tithing settlements.
I don't know what I'm going to do. I dislike anything virtual. It's so impersonal.
Come to think of it, I'm not thrilled about in person as well.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 18 Nov 2020, 04:29

Minyan Man wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 19:59
Well it's official for our Ward: our Bishop is scheduling virtual tithing settlements.
I don't know what I'm going to do. I dislike anything virtual. It's so impersonal.
Come to think of it, I'm not thrilled about in person as well.
I feel we're getting forced to do everything online now... That's part of what's coming in behind lockdown. And there's no guarantee that Creepy Zuckerberg and his other big tech mates at Skype/Zoom/Google etc aren't storing the conversation somewhere or scanning it for keywords.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Nov 2020, 12:03

If it is important to you to declare a status, send an email. Done.

If it is not important to you to declare a status, ignore the requests to do so - or, this year, just say you are being super careful about going anywhere you don't need to go and say you are paying what you can during this difficult time. (I believe in honesty, but I also believe in creative honesty. :P )
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 22 Nov 2020, 09:26

The "tithing settlement" patter has begun in our ward. I'm not trying to avoid it but I'm not working too hard to get it done. My wife thinks it's important so I shrug and say, "Okay, sign us up." But she has a hard time remembering appointments and last year (because I wasn't proactive) we scheduled two appointments that we missed. I think we finally did meet with the bishop but it always feels like such a meaningless exercise that I don't even recall what we talked about. I've said before I'm not a big fan of tithing settlement. So we'll see what happens this year.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 22 Nov 2020, 12:22

Are all wards & branches doing the virtual tithing settlement this year? Like I said before, mine is.
I really dislike the virtual experience. Maybe it's because of my age. What is the next step?
Virtual Endowment sessions?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Nov 2020, 18:20

Minyan Man wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 12:22
Are all wards & branches doing the virtual tithing settlement this year? Like I said before, mine is.
I really dislike the virtual experience. Maybe it's because of my age. What is the next step?
Virtual Endowment sessions?
My ward has not said a word about any type of tithing settlement.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 23 Nov 2020, 04:36

We have not sat down for tithing settlement for several years. I just tell the clerk to tell the bishop "we pay online. Put us down for full."

That keeps everyone happy.

If we pay, it's online and it's been that way for years. Putting us down for full isn't saying we are full in what they might consider full, but it is what we consider full and appropriate, and we usually consider multiple years and not just a single year.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Nov 2020, 06:31

Cnsl1 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 04:36
We have not sat down for tithing settlement for several years. I just tell the clerk to tell the bishop "we pay online. Put us down for full."

That keeps everyone happy.

If we pay, it's online and it's been that way for years. Putting us down for full isn't saying we are full in what they might consider full, but it is what we consider full and appropriate, and we usually consider multiple years and not just a single year.
About the second year in with the previous bishop I told the bishop something similar because he used the "I have to check a box" excuse. I told him to check the full box and that I didn't need to come in to declare that. He never bothered me again. This will be the first year with a new bishop, but as I said previously there have been no announcements or emails of any kind about tithing settlement this year and it seems as though if they were going to do it we would have. We normally start in November.

And I think the question "Are you a full tithe payer" only has to do with your own perception as to whether you're a full tithe payer. If you say you are, you are, period.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction