Plandemic, conspiracies, and faith

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Plandemic, conspiracies, and faith

Post by Heber13 » 22 Sep 2020, 09:49

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 11:03
I guess politicians and others felt like they needed be seen doing something so they don't get blamed too much for "killing grandma" regardless of how effective or not these actions really were in hindsight.
Who knows their intentions? Do they act so they can be "seen" doing something, or do they act because to not act is worse in their minds?

Perhaps that is part of conspiracy theory story-telling...even if there are groups of people hiding some information from the public (which happens all the time), it usually becomes a conspiracy theory when a story-teller places intention and interpretation into it to have it be a conspiracy, even if there is a kernal of truth in it to make it believable.

Church leaders are put in that position. I've been part of councils and meetings where the discussion is about trying to do what is best with the information the church leaders have at the time, but on the outside for those who haven't heard the council discussions, they accuse the decisions as being mean-spirited or hate-driven to someone who doesn't like it.

The story-telling is sometimes what captures people's attention. Does it sound plausible? Does it play on fears and motivate you? Does it become interesting to think about? Those are the things that become part of conspiracy theories, politics, and religion...I think.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 26 Sep 2020, 11:44

Heber13 wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 09:49
DevilsAdvocate wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 11:03
I guess politicians and others felt like they needed be seen doing something so they don't get blamed too much for "killing grandma" regardless of how effective or not these actions really were in hindsight.
Who knows their intentions? Do they act so they can be "seen" doing something, or do they act because to not act is worse in their minds?

Perhaps that is part of conspiracy theory story-telling...even if there are groups of people hiding some information from the public (which happens all the time), it usually becomes a conspiracy theory when a story-teller places intention and interpretation into it to have it be a conspiracy, even if there is a kernal of truth in it to make it believable.
That was just my off-the-cuff guess about the most common motivation for politicians in general in this case. I'm sure that many of them really did believe they were making the right choice and that not doing this would be wrong at the time. But at the same time these decisions were not made in complete isolation even to the groups that debated them. It looks like after a few dominoes fell that it just became commonly accepted and expected that the appropriate reaction to the virus threat was to cancel practically everything possible, implement strict lock-downs, etc. in large part because that's what many others (in position to make these decisions) had already done. So whether self-serving or well-meaning there was a certain amount of bandwagon pressure that this was just the thing to do at the time.

Why was it alright to remain open and resist further lockdowns (other than California as far as I know) when the hospitalizations and deaths actually peaked in many of these same states? I think that is basically a tacit admission that shows the lock-downs were never really necessary in the first place. The media was hyping the number of deaths until those started to taper off and then they hyped the number of new cases. Then when the new cases started to taper off as well they went back to hyping the cumulative deaths again or other fear-mongering anecdotes. Why is that? What's the motivation to try to make it sound as bad and scary as possible as long as possible? I'm just not convinced that all of it is aboveboard and I think there could easily be some thinking along the lines of, "never let a crisis go to waste" or other shenanigans going on here.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Roy

Post by Roy » 27 Sep 2020, 10:43

I do agree that politicians (and humans generally) have a really hard time going against the grain. It is really easy to do x or y when everyone else is doing it and will praise you for your conformity. If it turns out later that doing x or y was wrong then you have plenty of cover because you were just following conventional wisdom at the time. Sticking your neck out is something that most of us avoid.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Oct 2020, 05:51

There are a lot of things which stink to high heaven about this. I suspect it was accidentally released in Wuhan, which happens to be where China's virological research and bioweapons lab is. (Now reportedly being demolished, funny that.) It's the old double blind, if it did come out of a lab, no one in authority (other than DJT) would admit it.

This whole situation has unleashed some very ugly tendencies. We've seen Chinese people abused in my city, and also people with invisible disabilities harangued for not wearing masks. The government has turned us into a kind of police state and asked us to spy on our neighbors, wants us to instal state spyware on our phones... And God forbid if you speak out - you're considered a tin foil hat type. The global economy is clearly being collapsed by this situation. I know someone who has taken a heart attack from the stress of running a small business.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."