Positive Changes to the LDS Church Handbook

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Positive Changes to the LDS Church Handbook

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Jul 2020, 20:48

There still are some things I see as issues, but the general movement to individual decisions is excellent.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/07 ... ch-tweaks/
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Re: Positive Changes to the LDS Church Hambook

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 31 Jul 2020, 21:40

Yeah, I just saw it on the church's website. Thank God there at some good changes made to the handbook.

TinSoldier

Re: Positive Changes to the LDS Church Handbook

Post by TinSoldier » 06 Aug 2020, 13:03

I have a few misgivings about the statements it now makes about medical cannabis. I used cannabis for the very first time several years ago to fight my prostate cancer. I used cannabis oil, typically called RSO or FECO, and when I did the standard 60-gram protocol it brought my PSA *way* down, lower than anything the doctors had been able to accomplish. Unfortunately I had to return to my home state and lost access. Then two years ago I had to go through chemo and I was able to access a very limited supply, so I used it during chemo to abate the nausea. The pills the doc gave me for that didn't touch it, but the oil, taking a very small dose every 8 hours, worked very well. In the second half of my chemo the side-effects got worse and I started having some break-through nausea so I smoked some to stave off the worst of it. Again, the prescription anti-nausea meds didn't do a thing for me, I tried, but the oil combined with a little smoking did the trick very well.

I know of others who smoke or vape for other legitimate medical needs. The new pills the doctor put me on this year really knock down my appetite and to take cannabis oil simply to stimulate my desire to eat is like using a sledgehammer to kill an ant. A few puffs on a vape or raw bud does the trick right away. I know of people with children who suffer seizures. They can use oil, but it takes too long when they're suffering an active attack, so smoke or vape can act much faster for some individuals to help avoid the very real risk of brain damage. There are other situations, as well.

I can't think of a single other instance where we have been told which forms of administration of a medication may be used, under medical guidance.

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Aug 2020, 09:08

I appreciate most of these changes.

I do not need or want church imposed restrictions on medical procedures or curtailing family size.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 07 Aug 2020, 12:09

A hambook is against my religion.

I find beefbooks, chickenbooks, and lambbooks more Kosher. :angel:
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
― Jesus

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Aug 2020, 09:17

I think these are positive changes. They scaled back the words in the handbook which generally equates with fewer restrictions. I am glad they are putting the responsibility on the individual more than rote rules from the church.

The article says they got it down to one handbook. Does this mean there isn't a handbook for leaders and another one for general use anymore?

We are definitely becoming a kinder, gentler church.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Aug 2020, 11:14

nibbler wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 12:09
A hambook is against my religion.

I find beefbooks, chickenbooks, and lambbooks more Kosher. :angel:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Aug 2020, 18:15

I fixed the typo. :oops: :crazy: :wtf:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 10 Aug 2020, 18:59

Curt Sunshine wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:15
I noticed that and was trying to figure if that was a Freudian slip. Then "Hambook" made me think of "Green Eggs and Ham" :-)

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Aug 2020, 09:29

LookingHard wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:59
Curt Sunshine wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:15
I noticed that and was trying to figure if that was a Freudian slip. Then "Hambook" made me think of "Green Eggs and Ham" :-)
"The Hambook is now leaner and I think you'll agree,
Try it, you may like it, or my name is not SamBee!"