Any recommendations for good books to read?

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Minyan Man

Any recommendations for good books to read?

Post by Minyan Man » 14 May 2020, 19:34

I am really getting bored with this lockdown. I have run out of things to read.
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendation?

It doesn't have to be church or gospel related. It can be fiction or non-fiction.
Mystery, science fiction, history it doesn't matter. It only has to be good & a "page turner".
Please help me out of this funk.

nibbler

Re: Any recommendations for good books to read?

Post by nibbler » 14 May 2020, 19:47

I read the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis a while back. Kinda topical given the current climate.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 15 May 2020, 16:26

I just finished with this book I highly recommend:

The Courage to be Disliked

By Ichiro Kishimi
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 16 May 2020, 13:09

Both of your books look interesting. Thank you.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 18 May 2020, 15:28

I'm in the middle of Untamed by Glennon Doyle. Really good stuff.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 May 2020, 05:24

I recently read Educated by Tara Westover. I think it was a good read.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 19 May 2020, 06:10

Untamed by
The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt
Why We're Polarized by Ezra Klein
You are not so Smart by David McRaney
Leaving the Witness: Exiting a Religion and Finding a Life by Amber Scorah
Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans

I like a lot of Malcolm Gladwell books.

I found that I can borrow a bunch of these from libraries. I have a city library and a county library that I can borrow audio books and kindle books. There is often a wait time, but if you put your name in for several, you should start getting some after a while. Look for an app called "Overdrive". Then search for local libraries.

I might also recommend listening to podcasts. There are a bunch out there. I like podcasts and audio books in that I can keep "doing" things while I listen (exercise, mow the lawn, work on items around the house, painting, pulling weeds, driving, cleaning the house and garage - my list goes on and on).

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 19 May 2020, 06:17

I am also looking for some humor books to throw in just to help lighten my mood.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 20 May 2020, 08:09

LookingHard wrote:
19 May 2020, 06:10
I like a lot of Malcolm Gladwell books.
I second that! I really like him also, I think he is a great writer, although tells a story to make it interesting and can be biased a bit, but still makes for great reads.
LookingHard wrote:
19 May 2020, 06:17
I am also looking for some humor books to throw in just to help lighten my mood.
Some good thoughtful but humorous books I enjoyed:
I Am America (and so can you) by Stephen Colbert
America Again - Re-Becoming the America We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert
Monty Python and Philosophy - Nudge Nudge, Think Think! edited by Gary Hardcastle and George Reisch
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 May 2020, 18:39

Serious:

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is excellent.

Comedy:

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is the funniest book I have read. Hands down, no question, different universe hilarious. I literally laughed so hard I cried while reading it - and that never has happened previously or since with any other book. The movie did a good job of following the book, but the book provides MUCH more story detail - and the introduction is a masterpiece. The book is written in three narrative voices as if from a writer and an abridger, with Goldman supplying parenthetical commentary. It ought to be assigned in all Honors English Composition classes in high school or college.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken