The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by nibbler » 20 Mar 2020, 16:17

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... onary-work

Highlights:
1) Have most missionaries return to their home countries and continue their service there.
2) Returning missionaries will be under quarantine for 14 days.
3) The MTCs will empty. New missionaries will be trained online and be sent to their assigned mission as soon as possible.
4) The terms of service (18-24 months) will be reduced to factor for the quantity of missionaries that will be in the USA.
5) The church is still evaluating the situation and will adjust the plan as needed.

I do wonder. In an environment where people are told to be socially distant, what can a missionary do? Visiting families seems out of the question. Maybe it's an 'old habits die hard' thing. We'll eventually land at missionaries not making visits (and potentially spreading a virus) but it will take a little more mulling for the people running the missionary department to arrive at that conclusion.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 20 Mar 2020, 18:49

I have a son that I hope will be able to get home from Europe.

I too was thinking "what can they do?" I talked with my son and he was upbeat "we are just moving to online". I think that is going to even be less effective and we know in many areas it was more and more ineffective than in the past (before the last month). I think individuals are reluctant to close the door without even saying anything to the missionaries, but would have significantly less just not responding to a social outreach from someone they don't know. In fact more people would be willing to even be aggressive/rude. That can be emotionally hard on missionaries while they are stuck up in an apartment all day long week after week.

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 20 Mar 2020, 19:43

As for the Missionaries perhaps it is impossible to get them all home? A Quick check revealed that the Church has 70,000 of them. I don't know what will happen? I think the course of the disease is less than one week? What then?

It is surprising that there are no online services.

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 24 Mar 2020, 00:06

One thing I hope changes is the practice, at least around here, of not using any cleaning chemicals when the church is cleaned. I have volunteered to help clean in the past and was always a little horrified they never sanitized the door handles or anything.

The senior missionary couple that lived in a rental house next door was sent home today. They had planned to be here through September. From what I've heard the mission is hanging onto the rental for the moment to perhaps place some other missionaries there, but I'm not holding my breath.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Mar 2020, 03:35

Khadijah wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 19:43
As for the Missionaries perhaps it is impossible to get them all home? A Quick check revealed that the Church has 70,000 of them. I don't know what will happen? I think the course of the disease is less than one week? What then?

It is surprising that there are no online services.
No question, almost all American and Canadian missionaries are coming home from foreign countries. It is a huge undertaking because not only are they coming home, many of them will be reassigned to complete their missions here while other will be released early. Non-native missionaries in many other areas are also returning to their home countries. I'm sure it's a logistical nightmare.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... onary-work .

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/23 ... tes-canada

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03 ... ows-which/
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 25 Mar 2020, 13:05

Guess what I got in the mail today? Keep in mind our whole county is in a "shelter in place" order.
I got a summons for jury duty. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Mar 2020, 16:09

I hadn't thought about that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Mar 2020, 18:48

All temples everywhere completely closed as of tonight. Makes sense, most temple workers are in the most vulnerable class and it was apparent considering the most recent Utah closures there were potential exposures.

From a certain point of view, the temple marriage policy change was as inspired in this case as home centered church and food storage.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 26 Mar 2020, 09:19

DarkJedi wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 03:35
No question, almost all American and Canadian missionaries are coming home from foreign countries. It is a huge undertaking because not only are they coming home, many of them will be reassigned to complete their missions here while other will be released early. Non-native missionaries in many other areas are also returning to their home countries. I'm sure it's a logistical nightmare.
When the senior missionary couple next door left this week, the mission president decided to hold onto the rental house where they were living. I know a major reason was because a large number of missionaries are returning to finish their mission in the U.S. and he might need the housing. It's a nice 4-bedroom house and they could put up 8 missionaries in that one house if needed. Things are in flux enough that he didn't want to risk being caught without a place to house any missionaries that might be sent to his mission in the coming weeks.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 Mar 2020, 16:42

I hope everyone from our little group is doing well. Please keep up posted. If help is needed, please let us
know.