Joel 2:28

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Khadijah

Joel 2:28

Post by Khadijah » 23 Mar 2020, 17:10

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

This should be seen as VERY LDS because Joseph Smith had Visions. I do not believe that the scripture excludes women.

Recently I've had some dreams that were absolutely compelling, and so strong that I am fearful of telling anyone I know, or even the Crisis Line. It's been prophetic stuff well supported in the Bible. I can't tell anyone else because everyone is under so much pressure that I think it might terrorize people. Are we in the End Times? The Bible says that "no one will know".

For now I'm just trying to be the strong believer in God that I want to be. Sometimes I am just a frightened puddle.

Roy

Re: Joel 2:28

Post by Roy » 24 Mar 2020, 10:13

I love this scripture. It reminds us that God is still moving among His children to conduct His work and His glory.

There is an amazing BYU devotional talk that uses this scripture as the central theme.

The actual title is, "Women and Education: 'A Future Only God Could See for You'". There is a video at the link below of the entire talk.

https://www.deseret.com/2017/7/12/20615 ... revelation

The idea is that our young people (and particularly young women) can receive revelation directly from God as to what their calling in life might be and what role they may play in God's purposes. We should be very careful about not clipping their wings or dismissing their inspiration.

I do not know what God has in store but I choose to trust that it will all work together for our benefit
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
We also had a thread about this talk that I will link to below.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8315&p=116745&hilit ... cy#p116745
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Mar 2020, 12:13

Thanks for reminding me about Sr. Witesman's talk Roy.

I too like this scripture and the whole chapter. We have the plague of locusts (poetically described) and the reminder to turn to the Lord. When the people do turn to the Lord He shows His mercy in abundance. At the end of the chapter it reads (NRSV):
Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls.
Pretty good OT stuff IMO, and depending on your point of view maybe applicable to today's "plague of locusts."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 27 Mar 2020, 16:21

Khadijah thanks for sharing. I too have had compelling dreams and they can shift my perspective and change the way I look at the world around me.

As for the end of the world, I have believed for a long time that we are in the last days. Not the last days of the world specifically, as no one knows the hour of our own passing.

Whether the end of the world or the end of our own lives, these are the last days. Have no fear, rely on God, we will all be returning from where we came.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 27 Mar 2020, 19:18

Dreams can be very tricky. Their interpretation should be taken with caution. For example:
my Wife has (as best as can be interpreted) emotional & mental disorders. To anyone outside our family, she has
a very well put together lady. She is "Sister Molly Mormon". Members of our ward come to her for advice.
In the past 8-10 yrs, she has been diagnosed with paranoia, depression & bipolar. She has been hospitalized
once. Police were called because she called 911 & said that people were outside our house with guns.
She claims that our Daughters In Law are stealing from her, I'm have an affair with under age girls & our married
son's are being abused by their wives. Her knowledge of these events are coming by way of dreams. This morning
she awoke at 6am with a dream our youngest son was in trouble (2) states away & decided to call them. They then
called me to make sure that we were ok. (Our youngest is 40+ yrs old.)

I want to believe that the dreams talked about in scripture are inspired & come from HF.
Everything else, at best, is for our own private personal edification. I do like this scripture.
Thanks for bringing up.