Polygamy and Disassembling

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Khadijah

Re: Polygamy and Disassembling

Post by Khadijah » 19 Mar 2020, 11:14

3 or 4 wives is acceptable.

20 or 30 or more is offensive, evil and driven by satan and testosterone and big, narcissistic egos.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Mar 2020, 11:54

Khadijah wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 11:14
3 or 4 wives is acceptable.
Depends on who you ask.

Sometimes flipping a statement can shed light on issues. For instance:

3 or 4 husbands is acceptable.

20 or 30 or more is offensive, evil and driven by satan and estrogen and big, narcissistic egos.
It is the end of the world. Surely you could be allowed a few carnal thoughts.
― Connie Willis

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 Mar 2020, 12:28

My personal opinion, 1 spouse. This was one of Joseph's and Oliver's big points of contention. Oliver did not agree with polygamy and saw marriage as one man and one woman. I have always liked Oliver. This was also a major point of contention between the church and the former reorganized church. I honestly don't get how they can deny the evidence that Joseph was a polygamist, but they do not agree with polygamy.

Full disclosure and in the context of modern times: Gay marriage was not a thing then. I personally support gay marriage, but also support the church's right to not perform or recognize gay marriage. Hence my use of "1 spouse" above. In the church context I believe it is and should be 1 man and 1 woman (although I hope that at some time we can move beyond that).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 19 Mar 2020, 16:27

I do not argue with that.

Perhaps it got started in antiquity as a way to see that widows were supported?

Roy

Post by Roy » 19 Mar 2020, 17:39

Khadijah wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 16:27
I do not argue with that.

Perhaps it got started in antiquity as a way to see that widows were supported?
From what we know of history in antiquity, it seems more likely that multiple wives and/or concubines were a status symbol as a show of wealth and power. For a significant portion of human history women and wives were viewed as something similar to property.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 20 Mar 2020, 00:21

Sigh. Now you are going to make me work. I remember reading in the Tanakh that God ordered that the widows and women with children be taken care of. I should know it well, but in my dotage, even after a long time of study, I forget things.