Anybody else watch Messiah (Netflix)?

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Anybody else watch Messiah (Netflix)?

Post by hawkgrrrl » 03 Mar 2020, 12:13

I really liked it! Glad some of you have also seen it. I was surprised at Dermott Mulroney being a Mormon POTUS, but he seemed to hit some of the right tones.

I love the thought experiment of trying to figure out if he's divine. When he does a miracle, it still feels like a trick. Is he for real or just manipulating everyone? Is he really wise or just enigmatic?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The Texas preacher storyline was really intriguing to me and said conflicting, problematic things about religion. He was an unlikely choice for the Messiah to work with since he was on the verge of committing insurance fraud due to his own financial failures. He was quick to follow, but quick to doubt when it stopped being all about him. He just assumed he was chosen to be special to the messiah (and he attempted to use his connection to the Messiah to turn a profit for his televangelist FIL). When he found out that his wayward daughter had an abortion he saw her as standing in his way to be special and singled out by the messiah, and his ego was deflated by the suggestion that his daughter was actually the chosen one. He couldn't believe that she was any good now that she violated his views on abortion. I think he's going to end up a Judas figure later in the series. He's definitely captured the hypocrisy, self-aggrandizement, patriarchy, conservatism, moral ambiguity, self-righteousness, and aimless leadership of modern Christianity.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Mar 2020, 16:23

hawkgrrrl wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 12:13

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The Texas preacher storyline was really intriguing to me and said conflicting, problematic things about religion. He was an unlikely choice for the Messiah to work with since he was on the verge of committing insurance fraud due to his own financial failures. He was quick to follow, but quick to doubt when it stopped being all about him. He just assumed he was chosen to be special to the messiah (and he attempted to use his connection to the Messiah to turn a profit for his televangelist FIL). When he found out that his wayward daughter had an abortion he saw her as standing in his way to be special and singled out by the messiah, and his ego was deflated by the suggestion that his daughter was actually the chosen one. He couldn't believe that she was any good now that she violated his views on abortion. I think he's going to end up a Judas figure later in the series. He's definitely captured the hypocrisy, self-aggrandizement, patriarchy, conservatism, moral ambiguity, self-righteousness, and aimless leadership of modern Christianity.
SPOILER ALERT CONTINUED
I think the preacher's daughter is an interesting piece not only because of the abortion, which we don't know about early on, but because her faith in al Masih comes from saving her in the tornado. I think she may actually have at least some of what her father wishes he had in relation to al Masih.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 17 Mar 2020, 17:12

I don't have Netflix, but may someday.

I did just watch, three times, "The Young Messiah" on YouTube, and I think it was free?
It does not have content that will bother LDS folk since it deals with a prepubescent Jesus.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 18 Mar 2020, 15:27

I don't think "the young messiah" is the same thing. I am adding a picture of the main character at the bottom.

It was very interesting and I agree with hawkgrrrl's take on it. I wonder where they are going after season 1.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 23 Mar 2020, 11:47

al Masijh says something I really liked in the show, and I looked it up. It's a C.S. Lewis quote:
“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth."

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 23 Mar 2020, 14:43

There is a sweet, loving movie called "The Young Messiah". I watched it on YouTube and it may have been free. It was about Jesus in his prepubescent years.