RM's auto-admitted to BYU-Pathway Program

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: RM's auto-admitted to BYU-Pathway Program

Post by DarkJedi » 16 May 2019, 09:32

dande48 wrote:
15 May 2019, 20:13
Curt Sunshine wrote:
15 May 2019, 19:58
Although they would not get the same revenue as from their traditional tuition, the students are ones from whom they would not receive any revenue otherwise - and online courses are much cheaper to administer than on-ground courses.
I think this is the way most college eduation is leaning in the future. It just makes sense. I'd even say it would increase their revenue. Once the courses are created, there's practically no overhead. I wouldn't be suprised if they made more than the on campus courses, if you factor in land cost, building maintenance, teacher salaries, etc. If I were to start a university, I could choose 100% online over campus any day. It just makes sense.

I am proud of BYU and the Church for offering online college courses long before it was popular. I want to say they've been around since 2003? (*Edit: 1921 for "distant learning". Impressive!). Just to be clear, it's a very good thing the Church is doing. I'm so glad church members can get a cheap college eduation. I think it's super important.
I think you might be surprised in the area of distance learning. It's been around longer than most people realize, and some major players (including BYU and schools like Penn State and Thomas Edison) were pioneers in the field. The internet has made it much more convenient and accessible (as compared to even finding out about programs and snail mailing everything) but the basic way it works is not really new and has been around for over 100 years. I do have distance learning credits from BYU, all before the internet. They transferred to my Master's program which was also a distance program before the internet (through SUNY, which now has a robust distance program across all campuses). I also have credits earned through distance learning from Penn State.

Closer to topic, BYU-I's distance learning degree programs are far more extensive that BYU-P's. You actually can't earn a degree from Provo completely distance learning, but there are many options with BYU-I. Not too long ago I considered another degree, and even before Pathways (which I really wouldn't do anyway because I have an MA+) BYU-I was very affordable compared to other universities (even the non-profit types). For some people Pathways/BYU-I is a ticket that otherwise would not get punched. (Side note/tip: State colleges in NY are free to NY residents, and the community colleges, which are under the SUNY banner, have to accept residents without tests like the SAT or even a HS diploma, although they may require you to earn HS equivalency as part of your program. It doesn't get much more affordable than that, but you do have to establish residency. SUNY offers some top notch degrees, and there is even a SUNY component of Cornell.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 16 May 2019, 09:41

dande48 wrote:
15 May 2019, 08:21
DarkJedi wrote:
15 May 2019, 06:05
Dande I do think the credits transfer. That's why they do it through BYU-I, they're accredited. Of course what other school is going to put Book of Mormon classes anywhere but as an elective which probably translates to "instead of 128 credits to graduate you'll need 130."
I depends on the university admissions, but you'd be surprised. A lot of fundamental courses don't transfer between universities, even as "electives". If the new university doesn't have a near identical course, they usually won't accept it. BYU-I's accreditation only means their degrees are valid, not that their individual courses will count towards a degree at another university. I'd be willing to bet the "skills" courses are far too broad to count, especially for a three credit course.
It does depend on the university and university degree requirements, and in some cases the age of the credit, but generally speaking accredited college to accredited college with similar courses (English 101, Algebra 102, History of Western Civilizations, etc.) do readily transfer and apply. Our public school has "dual credit" programs with the local community college (part of SUNY) and all of my kids' credits (all general ed types, of course) transferred from SUNY to BYU. The Spanish credits counted as electives, but the calculus, chemistry, Englsih lit., US history, all counted as BYU gen eds just as they would have at another SUNY. Each one of my kids had over 30 credits going into BYU. I don't think that kind of reciprocity from accredited college to accredited college is all that unusual. (In another response I pointed out that BYU distance learning credits also transferred to my SUNY MA program.)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 16 May 2019, 12:37

Curt Sunshine wrote:
15 May 2019, 20:15
Ability to learn new skills or knowledge

Confidence in learning new things is a major component of future educational and vocational success. Part of the intent is to give members an easy way to feel like they have the ability to learn in an academic setting. That really is huge, psychologically.
Yes, I know. My point is, that's not a statistic. They claimed a statistic. It's "Not even wrong".
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 16 May 2019, 13:21

How does the certificate help them -- does it waive certain entrance requirements to BYU-I or other colleges?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 16 May 2019, 14:48

SilentDawning wrote:
16 May 2019, 13:21
How does the certificate help them -- does it waive certain entrance requirements to BYU-I or other colleges?
There are some jobs that can be had with a certificate. Also, it is my understanding that at BYU-I/Pathways the certificate counts toward an applicable associate's degree and the associate's counts toward the applicable bachelor's. For example, this page looks at computer programming: https://byupathway.lds.org/certificates ... rogramming

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 16 May 2019, 15:53

dande48 wrote:
16 May 2019, 12:37
Yes, I know. My point is, that's not a statistic. They claimed a statistic. It's "Not even wrong".
I assume that they took that statistic from survey results. As in - 55 % said they were continuing on with further educations after completing the 1 year certificate program. 40% said the certificate improved their employment situation and 90% said that the certificate program helped to give them the skills and confidence to be able to learn new things. Presumably that left 10% that did not feel that the program helped them in this way. ;)
SilentDawning wrote:
16 May 2019, 13:21
I believe that a job applicant showing that they have some training and are able to start what they finish would be a benefit on many resumes (particularly for the RM demographic - young people without much job experience). There are many industry certificates that can be helpful even if not required in many situations. The American Hotel and Lodging Association has several that can help add some credentials to your hospitality work experience. Also, as DJ mentioned, it appears that this 15 credit Pathway certificate can apply towards a larger online degree at BYU-I.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 16 May 2019, 21:41

Roy wrote:
16 May 2019, 15:53
I believe that a job applicant showing that they have some training and are able to start what they finish would be a benefit on many resumes (particularly for the RM demographic - young people without much job experience). There are many industry certificates that can be helpful even if not required in many situations. The American Hotel and Lodging Association has several that can help add some credentials to your hospitality work experience. Also, as DJ mentioned, it appears that this 15 credit Pathway certificate can apply towards a larger online degree at BYU-I.
Here is what I see as the benefit after doing a bit of homework...

1. The course material/objectives are a lot like Student Success Strategies courses I've seen first session/year students take. They basically help students learn about time management, thinking skills, budgeting, how to work in teams, etcetera -- all the foundational skills necessary to be successful in college. No real technology or hard skills, simply the basic personal management skills that are necessary for college success.

2. Some of those courses/credits do transfer for BYU-I programs of study, just like student success strategies courses do.

The site wouldn't open a page where I could "Learn More" for some reason, but I got enough to understand how it works. The cost per credit our is a good deal.

3. I can see the Pathways courses showing an employer that someone has an interest in improving themselves, and has developed skills that could be useful in a job like managing their time, critical thinking, setting and achieving goals, setting your sights on a particular career etcetera.
Skills from Pathway.JPG
Skills from Pathway.JPG (25.26 KiB) Viewed 67 times
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576