De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Post by SilentDawning » 14 May 2019, 18:48

In another thread, it was mentioned that food storage might be de-emphasized now.

I would like to explore this further. Is this true? How do we know this, and what would be the rationale for it, if true, given the recent statements that the second coming is night? (it's always nigh)...

Interested in what people have to say.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

grobert93

Re: De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Post by grobert93 » 14 May 2019, 19:38

SilentDawning wrote:
14 May 2019, 18:48
In another thread, it was mentioned that food storage might be de-emphasized now.

I would like to explore this further. Is this true? How do we know this, and what would be the rationale for it, if true, given the recent statements that the second coming is night? (it's always nigh)...

On a semi-related note, i noticed the church producing youtube videos concerning the bishop store house, showing the process of making different foods and who they are for.

Seems emergency preparedness has always been a topic of concern, but with so much social media coverage in the past ten years and less, it's harder to focus on all the important "established member" topics such as food storage, family history etc.

What i'd like to see is an expansion of food storage. we are told to become self-reliant, which implies and to me means to avoid depending on other companies to produce and provides the services that we use and take for granted. Food is the common one. Growing a garden. But i see other uses for "being prepared". I remember on my mission in texas we had a literal sunday school /combined hour lesson that consisted of an emergency prepardness video of the city, how to prepare for weather and natural disasters as well as medical emergencies. It talked about car breakdowns and other things. It was really cool to see the ward encourage it's members to not just think spiritually.

With all of that said, i think we have all become caught up in dependency of other companies and businesses and perhaps growing a garden can be a good start to a more minimalist lifestyle?

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 15 May 2019, 07:40

My take on it is that when I grew up in the 80s and 90s we wore the "peculiar people" badge with honor and pride. When I was on my mission, the Missionary Guide had a story about a member who didn't drink coffee and spent his free time grinding wheat and his coworker thought he was odd and wanted to learn more. I think the food storage thing was both a preparation for the second coming (that was more recently down graded to preparing for any kind of natural disaster) and a throwback to pioneer values of thrift and self-reliance.

I think we are backing away from a lot of these things and quietly trying to move more mainstream. I also think it's interesting that a lot of the recent changes are getting rid of things that critics pointed to as "culty" like not letting missionaries call home, the one-year temple waiting period, etc. I think we are going to see more of these changes in the future.

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 May 2019, 10:14

I agree that we are backing away practices that might categorize us as a "doomsday prepper" church.
grobert93 wrote:
14 May 2019, 19:38
What i'd like to see is an expansion of food storage. we are told to become self-reliant, which implies and to me means to avoid depending on other companies to produce and provides the services that we use and take for granted. Food is the common one. Growing a garden.

I honestly believe that this is what the church does not want. Members that make their own clothes, grow and can their own food, anything that says that we are getting ready to detach from society and go off the grid had a decidedly cult like feel.
I believe that most every reference to self-reliance that I have heard in the last decade deals almost exclusively with not being dependent on government assistance or welfare. It is about acquiring the skills to get and stay gainfully employed at a level that will financially support yourself and your family. At least that has been the perspective from my neck of the woods.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 15 May 2019, 10:25

Roy wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:14
I agree that we are backing away practices that might categorize us as a "doomsday prepper" church.
grobert93 wrote:
14 May 2019, 19:38
What i'd like to see is an expansion of food storage. we are told to become self-reliant, which implies and to me means to avoid depending on other companies to produce and provides the services that we use and take for granted. Food is the common one. Growing a garden.

I honestly believe that this is what the church does not want. Members that make their own clothes, grow and can their own food, anything that says that we are getting ready to detach from society and go off the grid had a decidedly cult like feel.
I believe that most every reference to self-reliance that I have heard in the last decade deals almost exclusively with not being dependent on government assistance or welfare. It is about acquiring the skills to get and stay gainfully employed at a level that will financially support yourself and your family. At least that has been the perspective from my neck of the woods.
For sure, and becoming self reliant to where you do not depend on government assistance or the church's welfare programs is what i believe the most important thing to live by. I think my idea of "off the grid" would be for those who have mastered the self-reliance and/or are independently interested in avoiding the corporation as i previously mentioned. my examples were meant to be on the extreme side, so i apologize for mis communication.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 May 2019, 15:13

SilentDawning wrote:

When was the last time you heard it (or similar things like planting a garden) mentioned in GC?

I'm going to leave it at that for the moment, partly because I'm short on time, but if you're looking for that you might as well look for what has been talked about in GC. (Hint: since 2014 there has been a clear emphasis on one topic above all others and it has increased with every conference)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 May 2019, 16:38

No worries Grobert. Thanks for the clarification.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 15 May 2019, 18:21

DarkJedi wrote:
15 May 2019, 15:13
SilentDawning wrote:

When was the last time you heard it (or similar things like planting a garden) mentioned in GC?

I'm going to leave it at that for the moment, partly because I'm short on time, but if you're looking for that you might as well look for what has been talked about in GC. (Hint: since 2014 there has been a clear emphasis on one topic above all others and it has increased with every conference)
I'm the remedial student regarding emphasis at GC -- can you tell me what the topic is? All I can think of is preparing for the second coming.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 May 2019, 19:47

The Church absolutely has de-emphasized formal food storage, especially a year's supply, over the last decade or so. No question about it.

The topic, just to get it out there officially, is Jesus Christ.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 May 2019, 03:21

Food storage is useful, we just went overboard with it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."