What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: What does the Book of Mormon actually teach?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Apr 2019, 14:45

[Admin Note]: Those are questions for a different thread. If you want answers to them, please write a new post.

Everyone, let's focus on the original post and it's central question. We are straying too far from it now.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 23 Apr 2019, 20:03

Bringing it back to topic.

On my most recent reading of the BoM, this question was very much what came to the surface. I started my reading to gain a testimony and instead really came to distill the essence of what Christ and God care about. That's one of the things I think is really great about the BoM. Both the NT Gospels and the BoM really hammer home the core of the true gospel of Christ.

A note from my journal as I read compares the teachings in Mosiah 25 to Matthew 22. In Mosiah, it is said that the only doctrines taught were repentance and faith in God. Jesus says that there are two great commandments upon which everything else rests: love God and love your neighbor. All throughout the Book of Mormon, the doctrine is taught very simply. There isn't a lot of ceremony, policy, or other fluff. Everything comes down to God. I loved this as well as found it very distressing. It spoke to me - it's what I have for years thought the gospel should be. But it was not what I expected or what I was familiar with, in this church of handbooks and policies.

The other lesson that really stood out was the realization that our "keystone" manuscript teaches quite explicitly that we don't have everything. Again and again, especially in the second half, I found references to the fact that God would withhold some truths from the earth until the day of His coming. So the references to fullness that were being debated prior, I think are quite explicitly settled within the text itself. We do not know everything. God does not intend us to know everything. And this includes the prophets and the leadership of the church. Along with this is the statement that Jesus had "other sheep" still to visit after He came to the Americas. He explains that the Jews were confused when He referenced "other sheep." Because they misunderstood, He didn't explain to them. He says this. Then He tells the Nephites "I say unto you that I have other sheep, which are not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem, neither in any parts of that land round about whither I have been to minister. ... I have received a commandment of the father that I shall go unto them, and that they shall hear my voice." So we also have the text quite explicitly telling us that there are more people who saw the resurrected Christ that we know nothing about. They likely had records. So there is again more proof that we don't have everything.

So to me, the primary lesson of the Book of Mormon is twofold: the gospel is simple - live it; there is greater truth to come - wait for it.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 24 Apr 2019, 05:24

Daughter1 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 20:03
So to me, the primary lesson of the Book of Mormon is twofold: the gospel is simple - live it; there is greater truth to come - wait for it.
This is beautiful - thank you!

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Apr 2019, 15:13

Daughter1 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 20:03
They likely had records. So there is again more proof that we don't have everything.
I agree. Even in my TBM days I imagines being in heaven with individuals from all the different dispensations. I figured that if the gospel that these individuals lived was true and yet they would still have to make large adjustments to align with the heavenly order of doing thing - perhaps I too with my modern interpretation and understanding will have to make similar adjustments.

It is a good reason to keep dogmatism and certainty in check.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13