Temple recommend interviews and "testimony"

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DarkJedi

Re: Temple recommend interviews and "testimony"

Post by DarkJedi » 17 Mar 2019, 10:25

Glad it went to your liking Squarepeg. If it works for you that's all that matters.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Mar 2019, 09:14

Sounds like you have some pretty awesome local leaders!
squarepeg wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 07:19
the garment was made for man and not man for the garment. I should wear it when I am able, and especially if able I should wear it while actually participating in temple ordinances.
Three cheers!
squarepeg wrote:
I was also antsy because years prior when I went in for a stake presidency temple recommend interview with a different stake leader on a weekday evening and was told that my having worn regular pants was unacceptable and I should wear a skirt next time. I felt so ashamed and upset.
I think this hits upon an issue for me. I actively try to not throw myself at the mercy of my priesthood leaders. They might be kind and somewhat flexible and help to validate my concerns or they may be very harsh and make further interactions with priesthood leadership and general continuing church participation more difficult. That is just a coin flip that I am not willing to make. Therefore I tend to play a part and carefully control the information that I might divulge. I am very glad that your latest visits with local leadership went so much better than this previous time.
squarepeg wrote:
The other is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom. Corrie ten Boom lives through concentration camp tortures in WW2, and was a devout Chrustian who believed in being honest and had a hard time telling lies, but she did lie on multiple occasions in order to save her own and others lives, and it would be a rare person who would say she was not justified in this.
I am also inspired by the faith of Corrie Ten Boom. In the movie that my family watched based on her experiences it was her sister that always held seemingly unwavering faith in the camps and Corrie was doubting. When her sister died, Corrie despaired and nearly abandoned her faith and then she was suddenly released (I think due to a clerical error) and the nightmare was over. One of the lessons that I take from that experience is that faith is not going to protect you or your loved ones from a horrible death but faith still has value. Exploring that value is a soul enriching excercise for me.

I am very happy for you that you are able to worship in the temple. The temple can be a peaceful and sacred place and I pray that it helps you to come closer to your Savior.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Mar 2019, 16:50

It's nearly thirty years since I saw that Corrie ten Boom film.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Mar 2019, 17:16

squarepeg wrote:

A side note: I don't recall whether this came up in this thread, but I have had struggles wearing the Garment for a very long time, due to tactile sensory processing issues, that resulted in my ultimately being no longer able to wear it consistently when I became really sick 9 years ago. I had discussed this with the bishop (which was embarrassing and awkward for me but I felt it was important because I know I can't be the only one in this situation) and he, in turn, spoke to our stake president and temple president about my case. It was decided that my inability to wear the garment as directed should not prevent me from attending the temple, that the garment was made for man and not man for the garment. I should wear it when I am able, and especially if able I should wear it while actually participating in temple ordinances. And ultimately the matter is to be between me and the Lord. I thought it was really kind of my bishop to speak to those others about my situation and I will gratefully and humbly accept this gift.

During my recommend interview I also mentioned that I definitely affiliate with and sympathize with individuals who have beliefs and ideas that run contrary to the teachings of the church. Some of those people are my family and close friends. My bishop thinks that question about anti-church affiliations was added to the interview initially in order to weed out polygamists and/or RLDS folks, or something like that, and he thinks of it as being mostly just to identify people who are truly against the church. He feels, and I agree, that it is good for us to have associations and love for everyone, like Jesus did.

I explained my garment issue briefly during my stake presidency interview, and he (stake 1st counsellor) agreed with the others.
Very glad to hear that you have understanding leadership, whom I believe made the right decision concerning your garment issue.

Yes I think the affiliate question is about FLDS, and polygs. It might also include groups who openly wish the church harm such as some of the nastier LGBT militants, occultists, certain other Christian groups who are anti-Mormon.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 26 Mar 2019, 20:11

Thanks very much, DarkJedi, Roy, and SamBee.
Roy wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 09:14
I think this hits upon an issue for me. I actively try to not throw myself at the mercy of my priesthood leaders. They might be kind and somewhat flexible and help to validate my concerns or they may be very harsh and make further interactions with priesthood leadership and general continuing church participation more difficult. That is just a coin flip that I am not willing to make. Therefore I tend to play a part and carefully control the information that I might divulge. I am very glad that your latest visits with local leadership went so much better than this previous time.
I agree that the more we divulge to leadership, the greater the risk. I feel I'm in a good position to risk a bit more, maybe, than some others, as my marriage and family relationships are not in jeopardy based on my relationship with the church (my husband and most of the family I grew up in have all long since gone inactive or left, and are supportive of whatever I choose to do). So, I'm pretty motivated to divulge things, because I know that I cannot be the only one who feels, thinks, and experiences things this way, and my divulging things might help others.

In the book, The Hiding Place, Corrie's sister certainly is the one with unwavering faith. Her sister dies and her face changes in a miraculous sort of way such that it gives Corrie strength to buoy her until her release (yes, due to a clerical error!). Yes, I agree, faith may not save us from all awful experiences (though it may save us from some of them, I think!), but it still has great value, including making the awful experiences more endurable, but also much more than that. I feel like I ought to read the book once a year - it is that powerful of a story.