After temple ordinances...am I done?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
nibbler

Re: After temple ordinances...am I done?

Post by nibbler » 24 Feb 2019, 16:49

LadyofRadiantJoy wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:47
My issue is why the hell are we sealing people who got divorced just because they had kids together? I have had a visitation from the spirit of a family member who explicitly told me she didn't want to be sealed to her husband. I had to remind my family YET AGAIN, that the answer is no, don't do it, but we get all gung ho and just do all the sealings as if it doesn't matter when it clearly does. We're really good at brushing off people's feelings. Abusive parents? Oh it doesn't matter we will all be perfect when we're all exalted. Abusive spouse? Oh it doesn't matter endure to the end to keep the family together, we will all be perfect when we're all exalted. Spirit visitation that says NO? Oh, what if she changes her mind, what if you're being deceived, it will all work out in the Millenium anyway and we will all be perfect when we're exalted. UGH. We sure know how to take a beautiful doctrine and turn it into poison.
We may delay an ordinance but someone will eventually come along and steamroll all those ordinances through.

Family may know the true intentions and wishes of the deceased but what happens in two generations time when people in the know are themselves deceased? What happens in the year 2020 when someone in Billings, Montana (my random city is always Billings) that has never met a member of your family gets overly enthusiastic about all this genealogy and temple work that we're supposed to be doing and takes it upon themselves to finish all the ordinances in your family?

The later happened to me. DW entered lots and lots of info into FamilySearch, the day came when we wanted to take names to the temple. When we went to select a few names we found that someone a continent away sniped all our family ordinances.

We took "the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers," turned it into a checklist, and now there's more emphasis placed on getting the ordinances done than on making any meaningful connection. Sure, some Joe Blow in Billings churned out the mandatory ordinances, everyone can sleep well tonight, but in the process it robbed our kids of an opportunity to do ordinances for people they're directly connected to. We'll do the ordinances for Joe Blow's family.

The hearts of eager beaver strangers shall turn to the checklists.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 25 Feb 2019, 09:28

LadyofRadiantJoy wrote:
I have had a visitation from the spirit of a family member who explicitly told me she didn't want to be sealed to her husband. I had to remind my family YET AGAIN, that the answer is no, don't do it, but we get all gung ho and just do all the sealings as if it doesn't matter when it clearly does.
In the Church, there are two types of revelations: Those that support the Church's mission and dogma, and those that are of the devil.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Feb 2019, 10:07

LadyofRadiantJoy wrote:

My issue is why the hell are we sealing people who got divorced just because they had kids together? I have had a visitation from the spirit of a family member who explicitly told me she didn't want to be sealed to her husband. I had to remind my family YET AGAIN, that the answer is no, don't do it, but we get all gung ho and just do all the sealings as if it doesn't matter when it clearly does. We're really good at brushing off people's feelings. Abusive parents? Oh it doesn't matter we will all be perfect when we're all exalted. Abusive spouse? Oh it doesn't matter endure to the end to keep the family together, we will all be perfect when we're all exalted. Spirit visitation that says NO? Oh, what if she changes her mind, what if you're being deceived, it will all work out in the Millenium anyway and we will all be perfect when we're exalted. UGH. We sure know how to take a beautiful doctrine and turn it into poison.
I'm not a huge believer in the ordinance by proxy stuff to begin with (I'm agnostic about it at best). I'm not even a believer that baptism is required to get into heaven. It is really my thought and hope that our loving Heavenly Parents will sort that stuff out. I agree, we do seem to make the simple beauty of the gospel look much more complicated than I think it actually is.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Feb 2019, 12:24

LadyofRadiantJoy wrote:
it will all work out in the Millenium anyway and we will all be perfect when we're exalted. UGH. We sure know how to take a beautiful doctrine and turn it into poison.
The other challenge of having a stillborn child is that they are not recorded as a live birth and therefore not eligible for church records (those records that I had been taught to consider the literal manifestation of the "Book of Life") or ordinances. There is no authoritative answer to whether or not they count as a member of our family (that DW and I will get to raise in the millennium) or whether their spirits get recycled into another body to have the experience of a mortal probation. We are made to understand that it will all work out in the end … somehow.

The secret is to trust in the love and mercy of Heavenly Parents. That was quiet an adjustment for me that did not come naturally. I had grown accustomed to trusting in what I felt was contractually enforcable protections and justifications of covenants and ordinances.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LadyofRadiantJoy

Post by LadyofRadiantJoy » 01 Mar 2019, 11:13

Roy wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 12:24
LadyofRadiantJoy wrote:
it will all work out in the Millenium anyway and we will all be perfect when we're exalted. UGH. We sure know how to take a beautiful doctrine and turn it into poison.
The other challenge of having a stillborn child is that they are not recorded as a live birth and therefore not eligible for church records (those records that I had been taught to consider the literal manifestation of the "Book of Life") or ordinances. There is no authoritative answer to whether or not they count as a member of our family (that DW and I will get to raise in the millennium) or whether their spirits get recycled into another body to have the experience of a mortal probation. We are made to understand that it will all work out in the end … somehow.

The secret is to trust in the love and mercy of Heavenly Parents. That was quiet an adjustment for me that did not come naturally. I had grown accustomed to trusting in what I felt was contractually enforcable protections and justifications of covenants and ordinances.
HUGS

What's most troubling to me is that lots of people have this question. They know this. But they don't take it to the Lord. If someone had asked Joseph Smith this question his response would have been "Let's take it to the Lord" and actually would have done it. It's how we got the doctrine of Baptism by proxy and the Word of Wisdom. Hell, it's how we got hte whole damn church.

And if they do take it to hte Lord they have to be open to it. As someone who can speak to the deceased my take is this. That stillborn babies are still connected to their parents. They are also able to be remortalized. The Spirit also revealed me that I was previously an abortion baby, but here I am. Take that as you will.

I just know that us Mormons are so good at limiting God.

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Mar 2019, 10:24

Thank you Lady,
I believe I understand on an intellectual level the danger of seeking revelations on issues. Every time we produce a revelation we say in essence, "This is how things work in heaven and this is how God wants them to work on earth." This tends to discredit any other theories or ideas. We ratify one path and delegitimize all the other paths. This does the same thing that you and I chafe about in "limiting God." I suppose at the end of the day I just want to know that God will never give up on us and that our heavenly parents will give us as many opportunities as necessary for us to reach our potential. Churches, covenants, and ordinances are useful tools - but at the end of the day they are not the only tools God has to work with.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13