No longer Mormon

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Gerald

No longer Mormon

Post by Gerald » 27 Jan 2019, 07:13

If someone should ask, “Are you a Mormon?” you could reply, “If you are asking if I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, yes, I am!”

If someone asks, “Are you a Latter-day Saint?”you might respond, “Yes, I am. I believe in Jesus Christ and am a member of His restored Church.”
I have been reflecting on why this address of President Nelson's bothers me. It's not that I am in love with the term "Mormon." I haven't introduced myself to others (not members) that way for a long time. I generally say "I'm a member of the LDS Church." I certainly feel that Christ (and his teachings) should be central to our gospel and worship. I suppose that ultimately I feel that it is yet another superficial behavior that we can judge one another on. As members, we tend to judge based on clothes worn to Church ("She's wearing pants!"), adherence to the Word of Wisdom ("He's has a WOW problem."), attendance at Church ("She's missed five Sundays in a row!") callings ("I'm the bishop of ---- Ward!") or callings of family members ("My son's a stake president"). Such judgments are human nature and certainly not restricted to "Mormons." However, now we can judge one another based on correct usage of the name of our Church and what we call ourselves. Since this talk, I've heard a number of members self consciously (or in some cases, self importantly) correct themselves and use the cumbersome "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" where LDS or Mormon might have been used. As if we don't already have enough "outward appearances" issues to deal with.
...And it is not inconsequential
Well, if it was, it isn't now. I sometimes wonder how connected our leaders are to rank and file members. Perhaps they don't realize how very seriously some members take and implement what they say. I'm sure President Nelson's intent was not to create difficulties for any member but I feel there are and will be unintended consequences of this talk.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

SamBee

Re: No longer Mormon

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2019, 04:46

We should be Christian, first and foremost and act like it.

As for saying the full name of the church every time I'm asked, I don't think so. I did get "outed" the other day when someone said we had met at the COJCLDS, but that's one of the few times I've heard the full name.

I don't have a big issue with the name of Mormon. It's not abusive. We are best known for the Book of Mormon. I can think of far nastier nicknames. The only issue I do have with it, is that it links us up with certain fundamentalist outfits.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jan 2019, 07:06

SamBee wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 04:46
Amen!
I find the banishing of the word "Mormon" a bit hipocritical. If the church wants to tell people, "this is what we want to be called", then they should also respect others when they say, "we are 'gay', not 'struggling with same sex attraction' ". It is always wise to show the respect you are requesting from others.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2019, 08:43

LookingHard wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 07:06
SamBee wrote:
Amen!
I find the banishing of the word "Mormon" a bit hipocritical. If the church wants to tell people, "this is what we want to be called", then they should also respect others when they say, "we are 'gay', not 'struggling with same sex attraction' ". It is always wise to show the respect you are requesting from others.
TBF, SSA could also mean one is bisexual rather than just gay. A lot of people assume Freddy Mercury was gay, but he had several women in his life (although he leaned heavily towards being gay).

There are also people who have been attracted to nothing but one gender with one exception. That happens occasionally too. Straight people who experience one case of SSA or gay people who have one instance of heterosexual inclination.

SSA is just a long way of saying homosexuality or homosexual inclinations.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jan 2019, 12:36

SamBee wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 08:43
LookingHard wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 07:06
SamBee wrote:
Amen!
TBF, SSA could also mean one is bisexual rather than just gay. A lot of people assume Freddy Mercury was gay, but he had several women in his life (although he leaned heavily towards being gay).

There are also people who have been attracted to nothing but one gender with one exception. That happens occasionally too. Straight people who experience one case of SSA or gay people who have one instance of heterosexual inclination.

SSA is just a long way of saying homosexuality or homosexual inclinations.
Agreed. But my point is the top LDS leaders are saying things like "There are no gay members of the church." I don't ever remember hearing them mention the word "Transgender". So the church is refusing to call individuals by the names they are asking to be called. But the church doesn't want to be called "Mormon" anymore and many members seem to get upset when someone refers to the church as "Mormon". Members also get upset if they say "Same Sex Attracted" and they are corrected with worlds like, "You mean 'gay' ". But I think most members don't talk about SSA unless they are in a church setting. They already know the word used in the real world is "gay" and code-switch without probably thinking about it.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2019, 14:12

Yes, I get what you're saying - double standards. But as I said on another thread - I think as long as something's not offensive, we shouldn't see it as such.

Mormon isn't offensive - it's a short reference to our book of scripture.

SSA isn't offensive either but it refers to a process rather than an individual. It's a synonym for homosexuality rather than homosexual.

I don't find these terms particularly bad. Mormon is less of a mouthful than COJCLDS and gay less than SSA. But both are slang perhaps.