Addition to "Massive Changes to the Temple Endowment": Initiatory & Sealing

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Addition to "Massive Changes to the Temple Endowment": Initiatory & Sealing

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Jan 2019, 22:39

I want to add this as a new post, so it doesn't get lost in the other two posts about the endowment changes.

I t has been confirmed that the differing wording for men and women in the initiatory and sealing has been changed to be the same.

Women in the initiatory are blessed to hear the word of the Lord, and both husbands and wives make the same promise to each other when they are sealed. The wording no longer is different.

Those two changes are as important and powerfully symbolic as the endowment changes.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: Addition to "Massive Changes to the Temple Endowment": Initiatory & Sealing

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Jan 2019, 06:32

Agreed! More great news. :clap: :clap: :clap:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 04 Jan 2019, 08:08

As far as initiatories go, I never knew there was a difference. :D Happy to hear it!
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 06 Jan 2019, 14:28

Wonderful! I know that some saw the sealing wording as doctrinal to hold the door open for the return of polygamy (in this world or the world to come). Exciting that we are getting further from that particular theology.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

lotsofgray

Post by lotsofgray » 11 Jan 2019, 13:10

Re: Sealing Wording.

Is it true that it does not and has never included the word “love” anywhere?

Haven’t been to one in a long time. Can’t remember if this is still true or not.

Maybe it’s just me but Jesus used that word a lot.

???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamBee

Re: Addition to

Post by SamBee » 11 Jan 2019, 15:22

lotsofgray wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 13:10
Re: Sealing Wording.

Is it true that it does not and has never included the word “love” anywhere?

Haven’t been to one in a long time. Can’t remember if this is still true or not.

Maybe it’s just me but Jesus used that word a lot.

???
Ah the old eros, agape and philia problem. These are the three words used in the New Testament. The word "love" translates more than one word in Greek.

Marriage is eros, sexual or romantic love, but this term is barely used by Jesus. Philia (despite its use in certain English words) means familial love. Agape is divine love which is what Jesus was mostly talking about.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

lotsofgray

Post by lotsofgray » 11 Jan 2019, 18:11

Another piece of the onion removed!

Thanks for the clarification.

lotsofgray

Post by lotsofgray » 15 Jan 2019, 00:27

So does this mean the word “love” is indeed or not mentioned in sealing ordinance?

I got distracted by your other definitions of the word

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 15 Jan 2019, 06:36

lotsofgray wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 00:27
So does this mean the word “love” is indeed or not mentioned in sealing ordinance?
I don't know about the ordinance post changes but the one before didn't mention the word love. The actual ordinance itself is very short and mostly consists of pronouncing blessings on the couple in scripture speak.

For living couples, the sealer usually gives a talk before the ordinance. I've got to think that love comes up often in many, if not most of those talks.
It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
― Abraham Lincoln

dande48

Post by dande48 » 15 Jan 2019, 08:31

nibbler wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 06:36
I don't know about the ordinance post changes but the one before didn't mention the word love. The actual ordinance itself is very short and mostly consists of pronouncing blessings on the couple in scripture speak.
From my understanding, the Christian emphasis on "love" (as we now define it) is more of a recent development. As SamBee pointed out, modern English is pretty stupid in only having one word for the many different types of love. Christ himself never spoke of "Eros" (romantic love), and is found no where in the bible, despite being a common Greek word at the time. In fact, it has been a VERY recent development that people actually married for romantic love. In the past, marriage was all about practicality. Your land happened to be adjacent to their land. You wanted to cement an alliance. They just so happened to be there.

As far as Christ's emphasis on loving others as God loves us, this has also changed drastically from times past. Christ was very kind and accepting towards outcasts and the downtrodden, but he was very condemnatory towards certain types of sinners. It was only fairly recently we stopped burning heretics and pagans at the stake, or torturing adulterers and gays to death. It's funny how you can get all sorts of different ideologies from the same scriptures.

Given the endowment was pulled from Masonic/ancient temple rituals (depending on what you believe), it's no surprise love isn't mentioned, even with our many modifications.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket