Can We Just Get On With It

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Can We Just Get On With It

Post by mom3 » 17 Dec 2018, 21:53

The four month waiting season for the 2-hour block and all things attached to it is wearing thin for me. I don't think I can take one more meeting, class or conversation about it. Just do it. President Kimball would be pleased. By the time we finally get to it, it won't be any fun.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Re: Can We Just Get On With It

Post by Minyan Man » 17 Dec 2018, 22:14

mom3 wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 21:53
... By the time we finally get to it, it won't be any fun.
It's suppose to be fun? Serious & boring I can see, but fun?

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Dec 2018, 22:48

but fun?
It's like early release day from school. It's more than just one hour shorter. It's more like half day. You do the basic stuff for an hour every week, then you have alternating other hours. For me, I am only sitting in class on the 2 and 4 weeks. The other day is hall mingling. This is where the fun begins.

By the time we get to it, no one will be whooping it up on the short end.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

PazamaManX

Post by PazamaManX » 17 Dec 2018, 23:27

mom3 wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 22:48

By the time we get to it, no one will be whooping it up on the short end.
Leaders in my ward are already being a buzzkill about it. The ward council decided that the hour and a half after church would be designated as "sacred time". No one is supposed to contact anyone else in the ward during that time so that everyone can focus on studying :shh:
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

mom3

Post by mom3 » 18 Dec 2018, 00:01

The ward council decided that the hour and a half after church would be designated as "sacred time". No one is supposed to contact anyone else in the ward during that time so that everyone can focus on studying
That should be a fun one to police.

Double bonus, it goes against Elder Bednar's Conference Talk on the changes and encouraging us to quit using checklists. That is totally check listing. Feel free to use Elder Bednar as your support for declining to acquiesce to their invitation.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Dec 2018, 06:03

mom3 wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 00:01
The ward council decided that the hour and a half after church would be designated as "sacred time". No one is supposed to contact anyone else in the ward during that time so that everyone can focus on studying
That should be a fun one to police.

Double bonus, it goes against Elder Bednar's Conference Talk on the changes and encouraging us to quit using checklists. That is totally check listing. Feel free to use Elder Bednar as your support for declining to acquiesce to their invitation.
And it goes against the similar advice we received about not programmizing it. Guess your ward council didn't get, didn't read, or didn't understand the memo. But on the positive side, I'm fine if nobody contacts me all day. An hour and a half is a start, but if you really think about, the whole Sabbath is supposed to be sacred time. Related side note: there used to be a guy in our ward who would yell at you if you called him on Monday evening. He wouldn't answer the phone, mind you, but he'd yell at you later if you left a message (pre-caller ID days).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Dec 2018, 06:04

In answer to the OP, our ward actually tried to start on Dec. 30 but it was kiboshed. :roll:

You are of course free to start it yourself any time. We will have family in town and we're planing to do SM only on the 30th anyway. And the 23rd has been decreed SM only from on high. Trouble is, I might get used to one hour church - but is that really a problem?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 18 Dec 2018, 06:06

Only two more Sundays this year and one of them will be SM only. Though the last time we had a "SM only" Sunday, SM went 2 hours. 2 hours! What's wrong with people? ;)

I can already tell home church is going to be a "thing." :( I'll do my studies, but I'm not looking forward to all the lessons where all we talk about is how people should be doing home church.
mom3 wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 00:01
Double bonus, it goes against Elder Bednar's Conference Talk on the changes and encouraging us to quit using checklists.
I think I saw someone checking that talk off a list when we read it during EQ. We have a really, really hard time not measuring each other (and ourselves). Checklists make it so easy.

I do like the spirit of a no contact time though. One other thing we don't get right is "sometimes less is more." I'm sure there are some Nephis waiting in the wings to fill your reclaimed hour with something or other. If we gotta do checklists, and I think we do, we might as well use them to keep people off our backs. ;)
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

dande48

Post by dande48 » 18 Dec 2018, 08:10

PazamaManX wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 23:27
Leaders in my ward are already being a buzzkill about it. The ward council decided that the hour and a half after church would be designated as "sacred time". No one is supposed to contact anyone else in the ward during that time so that everyone can focus on studying :shh:
Haha! I LOVE THIS!!! Here's hoping it makes it into Church policy.
"Brother Dande48, would you please meet with me..."
"NOPE! SACRED TIME!"
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 18 Dec 2018, 09:33

I think our Sacrament Meeting on the 23rd is just the standard meeting time with a Hot Chocolate Bar/Mingle Time afterwards.

In any case, I am pretty sure that my husband and I will take our toddler home and work on Christmas Festivity Prep (and avoid the Hot Chocolate Bar). The oldest WILL mutiny if she is not allowed to participate in the Hot Chocolate Bar (this was confirmed during the announcements on Sunday)- so I am hopeful that I can ask one of the adopted branch grandmas to drop my daughter off on the way home. I think that it is all of 3 houses (one way) off her path back home anyways.

Our branch has dedicated the 3rd Sunday of every month as "Potluck/Mingle Sunday". The branch is already practicing this for the last 2 months. NOTE: Our branch has a lot of single/widowed sisters, and quite a few empty-nester (or almost empty-nester) couples. They meet together Mondays for FHE, some go to the BoM class on Wednesdays. 4 families make up approx 70% of the branch primary (3+ kids).