A Visit to the Tanners' Bookstore

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
felixfabulous

A Visit to the Tanners' Bookstore

Post by felixfabulous » 29 Nov 2018, 13:16

I had a conference in Salt Lake and stopped by the infamous Tanner bookstore. People like Mark Hofmann, Brent Metcalf and Thomas Ferguson spent time here discussing problems in Church history. I grew up hearing about the Tanners as the most infamous anti-Mormons. I thought the Mormon Stories interview with Sandra Tanner was fascinating to hear their role in discovering and publishing things like the Egyptian Grammar and Manuscript book and 1832 First Vision accoutn.

Walking into the bookstore was like going 20-30 years back in time to see how this kind of information was generated and published pre-internet. Stacks of well-known books ranging from Rough Stone Rolling to a whole bunch of books by evangelicals on how to Bible bash with missionaries. I also saw the replica lead golden plates that are impossible to lift. There are also lots of handmade tracts that are printed on color copy paper and home-printed books that were put together at a copy center. (I think they have all that stuff in-house).

It was interesting to see and experience. It's always fascinating to me that evangelicals can point out the flaws in Mormonism and not see the same problems with the Bible and their brand of Christianity. I do admire the Tanners' tenacity, all indications are they have not gotten rich with the bookstore and their Lighthouse Ministries.

Roy

Re: A Visit to the Tanners' Bookstore

Post by Roy » 29 Nov 2018, 13:41

That sounds interesting. I like to think of the Tanners as the Samaritan in the good Samaritan parable. They may stand against everything you hold sacred - but then help you out when you break down on the side of the highway! :wtf:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Nov 2018, 08:54

You're braver than I am. While I don't stick my head in the sand when it comes to problems with Mormonism, I don't go out of my way to find evidence to refute it. However, I think what you did is valuable from an open-mindedness perspective.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Nov 2018, 14:11

I respect the Tanners in some respects - they haven't gone down the sensational route of Ed Dekker etc.

It was never about the money for them.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 30 Nov 2018, 15:59

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that "by proving contraries, truth is made manifest" (HC 6:248).