Challenges in life & the impact of prayer.

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mfree6464

Re: Challenges in life & the impact of prayer.

Post by mfree6464 » 25 Nov 2018, 19:07

I am reminded of an experience I had a couple months ago when visiting the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. As I read the words written by survivors I found myself struck with hopelessness. As I have written about on these forums, I am currently going through a number of challenges in my life the likes of which I have never before experienced (personal, professional and spiritual.) I think that I mostly attributed the charmed life I lived previously to righteousness and adherence to gospel principles. So when the life I knew began to unexpectedly crumble around me on all sides (and continues to do so) it really rocked my spiritual perspective. I pray daily for His mercy and continue to keep the faith until there is nothing more to have faith in.

The hopelessness I mentioned above came from the realization that the Jewish people were much like me. They are an incredibly faithful people - I identified with them standing there in that museum. How many millions of prayers were sent up to the heavens, pleading with God for mercy, pleading for reward of a good-life lived as these people were marched into gas chambers by absolute monsters? How many parents, as their children were ripped from their arms, told God they would do ANYTHING if he would but spare them this most awful, unspeakable and truly unbearable fate? I think these individuals could well relate to a heaven blocked with brass barriers. When it dawned on me that none of these estimated 6 million individuals had their prayers answered I realized that I most likely was going to suffer immensely myself, with little reprieve or intervention from the God I have loved, worshiped and largely dedicated my life to. It was a lonely, hopeless and terrifying feeling that still persists.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Re: Challenges in life & the impact of prayer.

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 27 Nov 2018, 15:23

mfree6464 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 19:07
It was a lonely, hopeless and terrifying feeling that still persists.
The blankness.

It's hard for me to reconcile these huge gaps as well. I only hope that I will not only understand why after this life, but that I will still have my consciousness, the 'me' after this life. I hope, beyond hope, that something will continue.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.