I Have Met the Name and It is Us

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: I Have Met the Name and It is Us

Post by SamBee » 23 Oct 2018, 14:36

My favorites -
Vietnamese
Giáo hội các Thánh hữu Ngày sau của Chúa Giê Su Ky Tô

Afrikaans
Kerk van Jesus Christus van die Heiliges van die Laaste Dae

Estonian
Pastarųjų dienų šventųjų Jėzaus Kristaus bažnyčia

Malagasy
Fiangonan'i Jesoa Kristy ho an'ny Olomasin'ny Andro Farany

Tagalog
Ang Simbahan ni Jesucristo ng mga Banal sa mga Huling Araw

I know LDS who speak all of these languages except Malagasy.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 23 Oct 2018, 14:43

Do you think "Church of JC" will work?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 23 Oct 2018, 20:23

mom3 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 14:43
Do you think "Church of JC" will work
I think Christ would like it. :)
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 23 Oct 2018, 20:48

We need a revelation with a short name of the church with Christ in it, and a name for the adherents due to changes in technology in our modern day. Let's get with it and stop trying to make a name that is too long, and conceived in the 18th century, fit. It's a square peg in a round hole. Nelson is open minded, if anyone can create a new revelation for inclusion in the D&C it's him...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

dande48

Post by dande48 » 24 Oct 2018, 08:49

SilentDawning wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 20:48
We need a revelation... Nelson is open minded, if anyone can create a new revelation for inclusion in the D&C it's him...
At one point, I would've said this was heresy! Only God dictates revelation, on his timetable, and his ways aren't ours.

Now... this is how revelation works. :P
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Oct 2018, 09:20

I just want to echo what OON about the name of the church and what we call ourselves as members.

I really don't have any problem with a request to call the church itself by its proper, full name in order to include "Jesus Christ" in the name. It is long, but it is the actual name of the church. As a one-time emphasis, I am totally cool with it. However, I also tend to pair that introduction with an abbreviation and a different term for myself.
"What church do you attend?" "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" "blank expression" "The LDS Church - I'm Mormon". "head nod" (with accompanying smile or scowl)"
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 24 Oct 2018, 14:12

SilentDawning wrote:
We need a revelation with a short name of the church with Christ in it, and a name for the adherents due to changes in technology in our modern day. Let's get with it and stop trying to make a name that is too long, and conceived in the 18th century, fit. It's a square peg in a round hole. Nelson is open minded, if anyone can create a new revelation for inclusion in the D&C it's him...
I nominate "The Church of Christology." We could call ourselves Christologists.

I like "The Church of Messiahntology," too.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 24 Oct 2018, 14:20

Reuben wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 14:12
Except that "ssiahntology" is already taken.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 25 Oct 2018, 06:53

Reuben wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 14:12
SilentDawning wrote:
I nominate "The Church of Christology." We could call ourselves Christologists.

If Nelson changes it to "The Restored Church of Jesus Christ", so help me...

-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Oct 2018, 11:37

First Church of Christ with the Nephite message
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."